[comp.os.minix] Questions from a beginner

card@masi.ibp.fr (Remy CARD) (07/25/90)

	I am a new user of Minix 1.3 on a PC AT 386.

	I have a few beginner's questions (which may be naive and/or
whose answers may be trivial) :

	1/ I have seen some upgrade packages for Minix from 1.3 to 1.5.0,
from 1.5.0 to 1.5.3, from 1.5.3 to 1.5.5 and from 1.5.5 to 1.5.6 on
some ftp sites. What are the new features of the release 1.5 vs 1.3 and
is it possible to upgrade by using these packages ?

	2/ In release 1.3, Minix uses the 8088/8086 processor. Is there
any update to use 286 or 386 protected mode ?

	3/ Has anyone ported some GNU programs on Minix ?

	I'm sorry if these questions seem trivial to Minix Gurus.

	Thanks in advance.

+-----------------------------------o--------------------------------------+
| Remy CARD                         | E-mail : card@masi.ibp.fr            |
| Universite Pierre et Marie Curie  |                                      |
| Laboratoire MASI, CNRS UA 818     |                                      |
| 4 Place Jussieu                   | Tel : +33 (1) 43.36.25.25 ext. 43.63 |
| F-75252 PARIS CEDEX 05            | Fax : +33 (1) 46.34.19.27            |
| FRANCE                            | Telex : UPMCSIX 200-145 F            |
+-----------------------------------o--------------------------------------+

nlane@garnet.berkeley.edu (07/26/90)

I'm also a beginner at minix, but have BSD experience.  Basically, I need
to know if Minix can access EXTENDED memory on a 286 machine for purposes
OTHER than a ramdisk - i.e. to execute processes without the 640K limitation
of 8088 machines.
Also, is anyone out there running Minix on a 520 ST with more than 1 MB
memory?  (i.e. I want to avoid the 64K segment stuff on intel machines - but
need to know if Minix will recognize, say, 4 MB on a hacked 520 ST.)
One more thing - can I get an Internet connection up and running using a
Minix machine, or do I have to get a full BSD or SYS V implementation to get
that kind of access?  (The physical layer of the interface is no  problem,
but the software - telnet, ftp, etc. are beyond me.)
I'm new to posting, so excuse me if I have violated any premises of this
group.  Thanks in advance for any replies (and thanks if you do reply!)

-Nathan Lane
Minixer - real soon now!!!

archer%segin4.segin.fr@prime.com (Vincent Archer) (07/26/90)

Some answers:

Remy CARD <card@masi.ibp.fr> asks:
>	1/ I have seen some upgrade packages for Minix from 1.3 to 1.5.0,
>from 1.5.0 to 1.5.3, from 1.5.3 to 1.5.5 and from 1.5.5 to 1.5.6 on
>some ftp sites. What are the new features of the release 1.5 vs 1.3 and
>is it possible to upgrade by using these packages ?

New release has more utilities, is more stable, has less bugs (not sure about
this one :-), is Posix-ified. In short, bigger and better.

>	2/ In release 1.3, Minix uses the 8088/8086 processor. Is there
>any update to use 286 or 386 protected mode ?

Try the 386 Gurus. Bruce Evans is the "master" of 386-ing.

>	3/ Has anyone ported some GNU programs on Minix ?

Some have been. It's easy to port GNU stuff, but not when you're stuck to the
ACK compiler and the 64K I&D spaces that "plain" Minix 1.5 still has.

nlane@garnet.berkeley.edu (Nathan Lane) asks:
>Also, is anyone out there running Minix on a 520 ST with more than 1 MB
>memory?  (i.e. I want to avoid the 64K segment stuff on intel machines - but
>need to know if Minix will recognize, say, 4 MB on a hacked 520 ST.)

If your TOS can recongnize the extra Memory, Minix has no problem using it.
(The kernel rely on the TOS to provide the "phystop" variable with the correct
value)

>One more thing - can I get an Internet connection up and running using a
>Minix machine, or do I have to get a full BSD or SYS V implementation to get
>that kind of access?  (The physical layer of the interface is no  problem,
>but the software - telnet, ftp, etc. are beyond me.)

They're beyond me too :-) Since there's no support (yet) for networking other
than Amoeba, such stuff is not available yet.

>-Nathan Lane
>Minixer - real soon now!!!

Welcome to the group.

    Vincent

Vincent Archer                   | Email:archer%segin4.segin.fr@prime.com
"People that are good at finding excuses are never good at anything else"

cechew@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Earl Chew) (07/27/90)

In <25667@nigel.udel.EDU> archer%segin4.segin.fr@prime.com (Vincent Archer) writes:

>>	2/ In release 1.3, Minix uses the 8088/8086 processor. Is there
>>any update to use 286 or 386 protected mode ?

>Try the 386 Gurus. Bruce Evans is the "master" of 386-ing.

The standard 1.5.10 distribution will run in protected mode on >= 286 machines.
In order to run in paged mode, you will require Bruce Evans' 386 kernel
patches which are available from the Adelaide archive site --- I'm not sure if
they're available from the US Minix archive site. It is not yet possible to run
Minix with full blown virtual memory -- well at least not with Bruce Evans'
patches.

Earl
--
Earl Chew, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia 3168
ARPA: cechew%bruce.cs.monash.oz.au@uunet.uu.net  ACS : cechew@bruce.oz

In article <1990Jul26.024918.7340@agate.berkeley.edu> nlane@garnet.berkeley.edu writes:
>Also, is anyone out there running Minix on a 520 ST with more than 1 MB
>memory?  (i.e. I want to avoid the 64K segment stuff on intel machines - but
>need to know if Minix will recognize, say, 4 MB on a hacked 520 ST.)

Any ST will use any amount of memory up to 4meg with no special tricks
required. A 4 meg 520ST would be nearly indistinguishable from a Mega-4.
They would be identical as far as ST Minix is concerned. (Get the 4 megs.
Minix runs Really Well with 640K of FS buffer cache. }-)

>One more thing - can I get an Internet connection up and running using a
>Minix machine, or do I have to get a full BSD or SYS V implementation to get
>that kind of access?  (The physical layer of the interface is no  problem,
>but the software - telnet, ftp, etc. are beyond me.)

The PC version comes with amoeba networking support. TCP/IP services will
require a good deal of hacking on your part.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (07/27/90)

In article <2746@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU> cechew@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Earl Chew) writes:

>The standard 1.5.10 distribution will run in protected mode on >= 286 machines.
>In order to run in paged mode, you will require Bruce Evans' 386 kernel
>patches which are available from the Adelaide archive site --- I'm not sure if
>they're available from the US Minix archive site. It is not yet possible to run
>Minix with full blown virtual memory -- well at least not with Bruce Evans'
>patches.

Yes they are in the US archives.  Glen Overby shadows the Adelaide archive and
I provided copies to Jamie da Silva for his BBS archives.  I also Snailed them
to Fred van Kempen in the Netherlands for posting on the NLMUG Minix archive
server.

--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30med

waltje@minixug.hobby.nl (Fred van Kempen) (07/31/90)

From article <1990Jul27.120616.2521@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil>, by rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson):
> Yes they are in the US archives.  Glen Overby shadows the Adelaide archive and
> I provided copies to Jamie da Silva for his BBS archives.  I also Snailed them
> to Fred van Kempen in the Netherlands for posting on the NLMUG Minix archive
> server.
Even worse: I added the 32-bit stuff to the "standard" NLMUG distribution;
to allow people to type "make -f Makefile.32" which will generate a 32-bit
kernel....

Of course, all 32-bit stuff (mx386_v1.1.lzh and bcc*.lzh) are in the
archive as separate files as well...

Fred van Kempen
MINIX User Group Holland (NLMUG)