[comp.os.minix] Atari ST Minix question

n8742883@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Perry Pederson) (08/01/90)

I don't have MINIX yet for my Atari ST, but it seems like a very
interesting environment to work in.  I have been told by various Atari
people that there will be a new version of MINIX coming out soon by
Prentice-Hall, and that I should wait for this new version to come out
before buying MINIX.  Does anyone know when this new version is coming
out?  Also, how much space will MINIX and all of it's "support files"
take up on a hard drive?  And finally, are all MINIX programs
compatible from the IBM to the Atari and vice-versa?

A curious MINIX wanna-be,

Perry Pederson
n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu

In article <1290@unicorn.WWU.EDU> n8742883@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Perry Pederson) writes:
>I don't have MINIX yet for my Atari ST, but it seems like a very
>interesting environment to work in.  I have been told by various Atari
>people that there will be a new version of MINIX coming out soon by
>Prentice-Hall, and that I should wait for this new version to come out
>before buying MINIX.  Does anyone know when this new version is coming
>out?  Also, how much space will MINIX and all of it's "support files"
>take up on a hard drive?  And finally, are all MINIX programs
>compatible from the IBM to the Atari and vice-versa?

1 - soon. How soon? Dunno. An upgrade kit is available if you don't want
    to wait.

2 - Space - looks like 7 megabytes, give or take a meg.

3 - Of the complete sources, all of the memory manager, filesystem, and
    library code is identical. Most of the commands are identical; there
    are only a handful of commands that the ST has that the PC hasn't,
    and one or two commands that the PC has that the ST doesn't need.
    The kernels and system building files are completely different.

    Obviously the executable files are not interchangeable... I haven't
    hooked up a 5-1/2" floppy to my system, and haven't read the code
    lately. Does anyone know if the floppy formats are the same?
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

RX80266%INDYLLY.BITNET@uicvm.uic.edu (08/01/90)

THE NEW MINIX WILL BE OUT IN TWO WEEKS.

From: CHAN GING                     (MCVAX0::RX80266)

To:   FOREIGN TRANSPORT ADDRESSEE   (MCDEV1::IN%"INFO-MINIX%UDEL.EDU@VM1.NoDak.E