[comp.os.minix] getting MINIX

chrism@mtuxo.att.com (XMRJ4-C.MCCABE) (06/10/89)

	I'm new to minix, and would like a copy of the most recent
version available for the IBM pc/xt.  Could somebody please tell
me the quickest (and cheapest) way that I can get Minix?
	Thanx in advance.

jon@hpsad.HP.COM (Jon Aldrich) (08/29/89)

Who is the right person or group to contact about obtaining minix source
code?  I would like to try and port it to my machine.  I read the current
list of machines that minix has been ported to and mine is an outcast :-(.

I have an HP series 9000 workstation.  The processor is a 68k and it has
about 1.5M of ram.  I only have access to a 20M hard disc at present, is
that sufficient?  Someone once told me that if a program will run on an
Replies by either e-mail or this notesgroup are just fine.

			Jon Aldrich
			jon@hpsadpk.hp.com
			(707) 794-3826

dji@orville.nas.nasa.gov (the dirty vicar) (08/30/89)

In article <590010@hpsad.HP.COM> jon@hpsad.HP.COM (Jon Aldrich) writes:
>Who is the right person or group to contact about obtaining minix source
>code?  I would like to try and port it to my machine.
>
>I have an HP series 9000 workstation.  The processor is a 68k and it has
>about 1.5M of ram.

	This is almost the very same question I was going to ask in this
group today anyway.... specifically:

	Does anyone have a recommendation of a way for someone who is
generally unskilled in the ways of hardware-hacking and low-level stuff
to get a-hold of the Minix-ST package for the purposes of attempting a port
to an unusual 68000 architecture when that person has no access to an ST ??
(that's one helluva sentence... :-)

I called Prentice-Hall to ask if Minix-ST is available on mag tape, as is the
PC version.  The answer, after some discussion of just what it was I was
asking for, was, and I quote:

	"No.  Absolutely not."

Advice and help will be gratefully accepted.
--
 Dave Iannucci    NAS Facility, NASA/Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\   DARPA Internet or CSNet: dji@orville.nas.nasa.gov ////////

des@berlioz (Desmond Young) (08/30/89)

In article <3039@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, dji@orville.nas.nasa.gov (the dirty vicar) writes:
> >Who is the right person or group to contact about obtaining minix source
> >code?  I would like to try and port it to my machine.

Me too! But specifically, how do I buy a PC-readable copy of the ST-MINIX?
What files are very different in the ST version from the PC version?
How much of the stuff is #ifdef ATARI?
Any help would be appreciated by me too.
Thanks
Des.

--
Reply:  des@logic.nsc.com
       {decwrl,hplabs,sun,pyramid,amdahl}!nsc.com!logic!des

kevinb@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Kevin Boyes) (08/02/90)

Hello all,

	I am new to this group but have heard of minix for quite some
time now.  One thing that I never heard about is the availability of
minix.  So...

  Can some kind soul please explain a little of the history of minix
(or point me to this information)?  I would also like to get minix
and start using it, how do I get the source?  I also saw something about
a MINIX User Group in Holland, what are they specifically?, how do
I become a member, etc.?

						Thanks,
						K.

Kevin Boyes                                          kevinb@maccs.McMaster.CA
McMaster University                         ...!uunet!utai!utgpu!maccs!kevinb