[comp.os.minix] Peter's fp package

phi@insearch.cam.org (phi) (08/02/90)

>From: hall@cod.NOSC.MIL (Robert R. Hall)
>Subject: Re: floating point in Minix C
>Date: 31 Jul 90 14:32:59 GMT

>In article <2781@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU>, cechew@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Earl Chew) writes:
>> No, have a separate libfp.a. See Peter's patches to cc.c.
>>
>Peter's patches were on version 1.3.  Can they be applied to version
>1.5.10 or should there be an update?

Thanks to the stuff you mailed to me, I made Peter's libfp.a for Minix v1.5
with almost no troubles(you only need to shuffle the #include lines,
especially #include stdio.h).

I compiled Little SmallTalk for Minix v.1.5 with ACK-C and Peter's libfp.a,
again, with no troubles (which only came up when I tried to run SmallTalk,
malloc() failed, is this the 64K+64K AGAIN ? Btw, I also met this kind of
failure with flex.)

While we are at the subject of floating point, someone pointed out,
lacking this feature is even worse than the presence of 64K+64K feature.
I prefer to abstain from this vote. I believe that Minix can get away from
the category of pseudo-toy (see AST's recent announcement of Amoeba) if the
situation is reversed,i.e floating point is officially supported and the
64K+64K barrier is removed.

	Phi-Ho Hoang.

-----
phi@InSearch.CAM.ORG			InSearch - For a better Solution

uunet!philmtl!altitude!InSearch.CAM.ORG!phi