[comp.os.minix] compress and comic

drl@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (David R. Linn) (08/02/90)

Since it looks like compress will soon be unavailable to the common
man because it implements a patented algorithm, comic becomes *MUCH* more
interesting.  Can anyone give a reference for the compression algorithm
used by comic?

	 David

David Linn, System Manager/Postmaster	   |INET: drl@vuse.vanderbilt.edu
Vanderbilt University School of Engineering|Phone: [+1] 615-343-6164
Post Office Box 3241, Station B            |Disclaimer:
Nashville, TN, USA  37235                  |  I speak only for myself.

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (08/02/90)

In article <26407@nigel.udel.EDU> drl@vuse.vanderbilt.edu
(David R. Linn) writes:
>Since it looks like compress will soon be unavailable to the common
>man because it implements a patented algorithm

This is simply not true. For a better understanding of the issue, see
James Woods' article on gnu.misc.discuss.

oz
---
First learn your horn and all the theory.	Internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
Next develop a style. Then forget all that 	uucp: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz
and just play.		Charlie Parker [?]	York U. CCS: (416) 736 5257

williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) (08/02/90)

In article <26407@nigel.udel.EDU> drl@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (David R. Linn) writes:
>Since it looks like compress will soon be unavailable to the common
>man because it implements a patented algorithm, comic becomes *MUCH* more
>interesting.  Can anyone give a reference for the compression algorithm
>used by comic?

NO,NO,NO,NO Nobody is taking away compress.  As was pointed out by one of
the authors of compress in gnu.misc.discuss, compress was written
before the patent was applied for, and Unisys is mostly interested in
licencing hardware manufacturers who incorporate some form of LZW
compression.

Comic is way too slow for everyday use.  As near as I can tell it uses
an O(n*m) algorithm, where n is a function of the input size, and m is
the string table size.  Try comic-ing a >100K tar some time!

If someone spent some time finding a more efficient lookup for comic,
it might be a practical contender.  Compression ratios are certainly
good!

--
Kent Williams                    'Look, I can understand "teenage mutant ninja
williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu    turtles", but I can't understand "mutually

drl@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (David R. Linn) (08/02/90)

>>In article <26407@nigel.udel.EDU> drl@vuse.vanderbilt.edu
>>(David R. Linn) writes:
>>>Since it looks like compress will soon be unavailable to the common
>>>man because it implements a patented algorithm
>>
>>This is simply not true. For a better understanding of the issue, see
>>James Woods' article on gnu.misc.discuss.

According to RMS, this may or may not be true (he explicitly offers no
opinion due to lack of relevant expertise) but this response sidesteps
the original question:

jms@cs.vu.nl (Jan-Mark) (08/03/90)

In an article williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) writes:

> Comic is way too slow for everyday use.  As near as I can tell it uses
> an O(n*m) algorithm, where n is a function of the input size, and m is
> the string table size.  Try comic-ing a >100K tar some time!

Question: Where you talking about COMIC 1.0 or 1.0B?

--

				 (:>	jms
				(_)