[comp.os.minix] Amoeba...

chandler@xroads.UUCP (Jim Chandler) (11/20/89)

Has anyone written a version of amoeba for MINIX that uses the serial ports
instead of an EtherCard as the device.  I realize that it would not be as
fast but is would be much cheaper for some quick local area networks.
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200|2400 Baud 24 hrs/day

prince@pebbles.tcs.uh.edu (07/28/90)

I read in UNIX TODAY that Mr. Tannenbaum has developed an OS for
distributed systems called Amoeba.  I'm interested in these kinds of
systems, and I was wondering if anyone out there had any idea where
I can find out about Amoeba??

Thanks...

Jay Prince

The Master <root@minixug.hobby.nl> (08/02/90)

From article <25891@nigel.udel.EDU>, by prince@pebbles.tcs.uh.edu:

> I read in UNIX TODAY that Mr. Tannenbaum has developed an OS for
> distributed systems called Amoeba.  I'm interested in these kinds of
> systems, and I was wondering if anyone out there had any idea where
> I can find out about Amoeba??

1.  Send mail to ast@cs.vu.nl, with Subject: == "Amoeba".
    Andy will be back today, but don't expect a prompt answer, since
    he will probably have a mailbox of 900+ messages...

2.  Find an ftp-site with the "Amoeba-book".  This "book" is a PostScript-
    compilation of interesting (?) papers on the Amoeba Project.

3.  Last resort: e-mail to me.
    I know the people who are working on it, but I don't think it would
    be wise to put their e-mail addresses "out" on the Net...

Fred.
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| MINIX User Group Holland   UUCP: waltje@minixug.hobby.nl      |
| c/o Fred van Kempen,         or: hp4nl!hgatenl!minixug!waltje |
| Hoefbladhof  27                                               |
| 2215 DV  VOORHOUT         "Love is - what you want it to be.  |
| The Netherlands                               Alannah Myles"  |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (08/02/90)

In article <26396@nigel.udel.EDU> The Master <root@minixug.hobby.nl> writes:

   2.  Find an ftp-site with the "Amoeba-book".  This "book" is a PostScript-
       compilation of interesting (?) papers on the Amoeba Project.

From the comp.archives archives:

<quote>
Archive-name: amoeba-doc-usa/05-Apr-90
Archive-site: spam.itstd.sri.com [128.18.4.3]
Archive-directory: pub/amoeba
Archive-files: amoeba-doc.tar.Z
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <1990Apr4.175751.10575@diku.dk> shotokan@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Kim H|glund)
writes:
-ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
->5. AMOEBA BOOK
->     We have published dozens of papers on Amoeba over the years.  We have now
->collected 17 of the most interesting ones in a 278-page paperback book.  The
->papers provide an introduction to Amoeba, an overview of the design,
->discussion of the measured performance, as well as 9 papers on programming
->and applications.
-These papers are now available for anonymous ftp from ftp.diku.dk
-[129.142.96.1] in /pub/misc/amoeba-doc.tar.Z
-Enjoy,
-  Kim

I pulled this across the ocean at a blinding 4000 baud and put it into:
        pub/amoeba/amoeba-doc.tar.Z
on spam.itstd.sri.com.  People in North America might get faster access
to this copy :-).
</quote>

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
comp.text.sgml	ISO 8879 SGML, structured documents, markup languages
		 	yes votes to sgml-yes@math.lsa.umich.edu
(comp.text for now)	 no votes to  sgml-no@math.lsa.umich.edu

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (08/03/90)

>From article <25891@nigel.udel.EDU>, by prince@pebbles.tcs.uh.edu:
>>
>> I read in UNIX TODAY that Mr. Tannenbaum has developed an OS for
>> distributed systems called Amoeba.  I'm interested in these kinds of
>> systems, and I was wondering if anyone out there had any idea where
>> I can find out about Amoeba??

We have written a large number of papers about Amoeba.  For example, IEEE
Computer Magazine, May 1990.  You can also FTP many of these papers from
midgard.ucsc.edu in dir ftp/pub/amoeba, both in source and in compressed
postscript.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)