[comp.os.minix] Minix, copyright and everything

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (08/04/90)

and a few days later writes:

>I am a poor student [insert sound of violins here] and I can't afford
>the ~$100 for the compiler source... [omitted] ...or
>maybe somebody can send me the compiler sources gratis ...

When I view these two messages side-by-side, I get an almost vertiginous
sense of disbelief;  can anyone think of a comment that is not entirely
libellous?

I'm baffled - Will

"If heaven too had passions  | Will Rose
     even heaven would       | UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cw
     grow old."  -  Li Ho.   | ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
                             | INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr

rickr@virtech.uucp (Rick Rodman) (08/08/90)

In article <3815@crash.cts.com>, cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) writes:
> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>
> >I am really
> >upset that somebody would have the gall to re-sell my postings and
> >profit from them.
>
> and a few days later writes:
>
> >I am a poor student [insert sound of violins here] and I can't afford
> >the ~$100 for the compiler source... [omitted] ...or
> >maybe somebody can send me the compiler sources gratis ...
>
> When I view these two messages side-by-side, I get an almost vertiginous
> sense of disbelief;  can anyone think of a comment that is not entirely
> libellous?

Oh! So the poor student should become rich by reselling other people's
postings, and then he could afford to pay $100 for compiler source?
Or what is it you're suggesting here?

Personally, I think Stallman is right.  Give the source away.  It's the
service that is expensive anyway.

> I'm baffled - Will

So I see.  Frankly, I could care less if someone sells my postings.  I
disclaim all responsibility for the accuracy of anything I say.

--
Rick Rodman      uunet!virtech!rickr  (703)734-7261(w)  (703)330-9849(h)
Cable & Wireless, Tysons Corner VA