[comp.os.minix] stupid keyboard/termcap question

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) (08/08/90)

When using Kermit 3.00 on my PC, and logging on to the big Unix box,
everything works just great.  I'm emulating a vt320, and using the vt100
entry in termcap.  (I am not using the -ec option of tset!)

When using Kermit and logging on to my Minix PC/AT (the small Unix box),
the backspace key doesn't work.  The backspace key sends \177.  If I
type ^H, that works for a backspace, but I want to use the backspace
key.

--->	Does anybody know how the termcap entry should be set up so that
	the shell recognizes a \177 as a backspace key?  Is this even
	possible?  I tried :bc=\177: and it didn't work.  Are there mods
	to the shell that might solve my problem?  What about mods to
	the tty driver?  (Minix tset doesn't even recognize an -ec option
	to tset.)

--->	Does anybody know how to make Kermit send a ^H for the backspace
	key, instead of \177?  I looked through the Kermit on-line help,
	and couldn't figure it out.

--
Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6       kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh

In article <26470@usc.edu> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>When using Kermit 3.00 on my PC, and logging on to the big Unix box,
>everything works just great.  I'm emulating a vt320, and using the vt100
>entry in termcap.  (I am not using the -ec option of tset!)
>
>When using Kermit and logging on to my Minix PC/AT (the small Unix box),
>the backspace key doesn't work.  The backspace key sends \177.  If I
>type ^H, that works for a backspace, but I want to use the backspace
>key.

All the keys can be redefined in MS-Kermit. I guess the default behavior
is to assign \177 (ASCII DEL) to the backspace key (though that may have
changed with 3.01). At any rate, just issue the command "set key" and
follow the prompts.

>--->	Does anybody know how the termcap entry should be set up so that
>	the shell recognizes a \177 as a backspace key?  Is this even
>	possible?  I tried :bc=\177: and it didn't work.  Are there mods
>	to the shell that might solve my problem?  What about mods to
>	the tty driver?  (Minix tset doesn't even recognize an -ec option
>	to tset.)

The shell doesn't use termcap. You need to use the stty command to set your
editing characters. In your case, you could just say
	stty erase <backspace-key>
and that would be the end of it.

>--->	Does anybody know how to make Kermit send a ^H for the backspace
>	key, instead of \177?  I looked through the Kermit on-line help,
>	and couldn't figure it out.

See above. You could use set key to assign \10 to the backspace key.
(\10 octal is 8 decimal is ^H ASCII)
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip