[comp.os.minix] PS/2 Minix

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (12/11/88)

The current status of MINIX on the PS/2 is this.  It works on the Model 30.
It fails on the Model 50 for unknown reasons.  The failure occurs the first
time it tries to read the floppy disk, so we suspect the DMA is different
for the microchannel.  More than that we don't know.

If there are any people who can easily download uuencoded boot images from
mail to a 3.5 inch diskette, test on a model 50, and report back fast, and
who are relatively knowledgeable about MINIX and the Model 50 and who want
to help debug this, let me know.

Patrick McCormick: Mail to you bounces.  Your user-id seems to be unknown.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

bambi@kirk.nmg.bu.oz (David J. Hughes) (08/07/90)

A while ago I posted a generic question about PS/2 based minix.  I
recall someone mentioning it quite some time ago.  Maybe Bruce or Andy
has some record of who's done what with it?

Anyway the situation is this.  The School of Computer Science here at
Bond University (Australia) wished to enable a more practical element in
it's operating systems design subject.  Minix is the obvious choice -
but we have a hundred or so PS/2 model 60's around the campus.  These
are the only machine that are supplied for student lab use.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an IBM PS/2 60 and above port of
Minix (1.3.0 or greater).

Any help would be greatly appreciated .....

bambi
| David J. Hughes   (AKA bambi)	 |   bambi@kowande.bu.oz.au                  |
| Systems Programmer		 |   bambi@kowande.bu.oz.au@uunet.uu.net     |
| Network Management Group       |   ..!uunet!munnari!kowande.bu.oz.au!bambi |
| Bond University, Gold Coast    |   Phone : +61 75 951111                   |
| Queensland,  Australia  4229   |   Fax :   +61 75 951456                   |

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (08/08/90)

In article <1602@kirk.nmg.bu.oz> bambi@kirk.nmg.bu.oz (David J. Hughes) writes:
>Can anyone point me in the direction of an IBM PS/2 60 and above port of
>Minix (1.3.0 or greater).

MINIX 1.5 should run on any PS/2 model.  However, unless you have an ST506
disk, you will have to run using the bios_wini.c disk driver.  This implies
that you must run in real mode, and can only use 640K for program memory.
You can, however, use extended memory for RAM disk, so it is not wasted.

To run in protected mode, an ESDI disk driver will be needed.  As far as I
know, nobody is currently working on it.  Sounds like a good project for you.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)