[comp.os.minix] Error -> "Out of string space" ... Any ideas??

mtuna@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Mustafa Esen TUNA) (08/03/90)

Hi everyone,

	I am working on my incomplete LWT project. And lately I am facing
with "out of string space" message (which I believe) does not directly
originate from Minix (since the code does not have such a message, unless
it is encyrpted.

	This message comes up after loading the root file system, and
during login. And login does not take you anywhere, than asking username
and password.

	If you have any ideas about the cause, origin, solution or remarks
please mail me at mtuna@silver.ucs.indiana.edu .

				Thanks,
					Esen Tuna

chiuk@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Kenneth Chiu) (08/09/90)

In article <53100@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> Mustafa Esen TUNA <mtuna@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
>	And lately I am facing
>with "out of string space" message (which I believe) does not directly
>originate from Minix (since the code does not have such a message, unless
>it is encyrpted.
>
>	This message comes up after loading the root file system, and
>during login. And login does not take you anywhere, than asking username
>and password.

The message is from the shell.  The 'strings' command in MINIX 1.5 (and
UNIX) is very helpful for things like this.  With this command, and
fgrep, you can find the source of the message in less time than it
takes you to say, "Where the h*ll is that d*mn message coming from?"

As to WHY you are getting the message, I have no idea.

[filler]
[filler]
[filler]
[filler]
[filler]
[filler]
[filler]

swamys@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Shankar) (08/09/90)

In article <53772@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> chiuk@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Kenneth Chiu) writes:
>In article <53100@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> Mustafa Esen TUNA <mtuna@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
>>	And lately I am facing
>>

>takes you to say, "Where the h*ll is that d*mn message coming from?"
>
>As to WHY you are getting the message, I have no idea.

  From the wording of Mustafa`s question, looks like the kernel is
not getting the right memory configuration from the mm, if he has
meddled with the memory manager (which doesn`t seem likely, though!).

  My first instincts would be to check the rootfile system .....

shankar

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (08/09/90)

>In article <53100@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> Mustafa Esen TUNA <mtuna@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
>>	And lately I am facing
>>with "out of string space" message (which I believe) does not directly
>>originate from Minix

The shell gives this message when it runs out of storage.  The solution is
to give the shell more memory with chmem.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

leo@marco.UUCP (Matthias Pfaller) (08/10/90)

The 'out of string space' message is comming from the shell do a chmem to it
and it will work.
	Matthias Pfaller (leo@marco.de)