[comp.os.minix] 1.3 -> 1.5.10 upgrade report

u31b3hs@cip-s03.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Haardt) (08/13/90)

Hello world!

   Thanks to all those people, who build the 1.3 -> 1.5.10 upgrade kit at
plains.nodak.edu ([134.129.111.64], pub/Minix/updates/1.5).  It runs fine
and nearly everything seems to be ok, except a few things:

a) I can't compile ls, because asld says that there is a double defined
   symbol like _21 in perror.s.  I looked at the code and found that there
   is such a symbol, but it is not global.  What is wrong?

b) su does not work if someone tries to get superuser, but the superuser
   could get any other user without problems.
   In the first case, su only starts a new shell without changing the uid.

c) man does't work without the al capability in termcap and hasn't a proper
   database, but you could use the shellscript I posted at the beginning of
   this month.

d) badblocks doesn't change the zone and inode bitmaps, so that fsck makes
   the bad parts accessible.  My system crashed a few times until I took
   de and made the entries byself.  Andy's Minix-book was a great help for
   doing this work.

e) My DOS partition is not active although Minix fdisk says it is.  But
   who cares about DOS?  To my mind, this is closer to a feature then to a bug!

f) tsort.c doesn't work at all, but tsort_1_5_10a.c is ok.  I don't know
   why there are differnt versions in 1.5.10.

   The new disk formatter posted some weeks ago runs fine too, so I won't use
horrible things like DOS any more.  A lot of other software was easy to port:

   -  The 1.3 floating point library
   -  MicroEmacs 3.8b (but with a text limit of 25 KB)
   -  Xlisp 1.6
   -  nroff 1.1
   -  the new cpp
   -  many minor utilities

   The upgrade kit at the plains server is absolutely ok, but sometimes
ftp damaged files I got.  Check the crc's and everything is ok.  I did
the update without any shellscripts.  If you have problems with your /tmp
space, just mount a floppy on it.  This will be *very* slow, but works
very well.  A big winchester is very useful.  If you hadn't one then borrow
it from a friend for doing the updates or you will get grey hairs before
finishing.

   I build my library with the liborder posted some times ago.  If you
have not got it, lorder and tsort from 1.5.10 should be ok.  (The 1.5.5
lorder says that malloc depends on curses.)

   I hope that any problems with older versions will disappear, so that
we can talk about minix without version numbers. :-)

Move flames to /dev/null and send real e-mail to:
u31b3hs@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Haardt)
---------------------------------- ciao --------------------------------------

postmaster@ssci.UUCP (Kevin Benton) (08/15/90)

In an article of <13 Aug 90 07:15:31 GMT>, u31b3hs@cip-s03.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Haardt) writes:

 >From: u31b3hs@cip-s03.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Haardt)
 >Date: 13 Aug 90 07:15:31 GMT
 >Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
 >
 >Hello world!
 >
 >   Thanks to all those people, who build the 1.3 -> 1.5.10 upgrade kit at
 >plains.nodak.edu ([134.129.111.64], pub/Minix/updates/1.5).  It runs fine

If you have a list of things you did in order to upgrade, would you please post them?  Sometimes a few notes are nice to have.  Also, did you upgrade from 1.3d or 1.3PH?  (I have 1.3PH)

Kevin
--
Kevin Benton
Project Thunder (ssci)