[comp.os.minix] file sizes

sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au (08/10/90)

I have recently upgraded 1.3 -> 1.5.10.
All patching was done on our ULTRIX machine. I then tar'ed and
compressed all directories. Now my commands.tar.Z file is 1.24 Mbytes
big.
I have made a file system of size 1450 blocks on a 1.44Mbyte disk, but
when I mount it and say

      cp commands.tar.Z /mnt3

I get the following error message :

cp : error 0

Anybody have any idea ??? The file is certainly smaller than the file system
size... (or so it seems...)

Marcus Schnell

brucee@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Bruce Evans) (08/12/90)

In article <3077.26c290ee@cc.curtin.edu.au> sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>compressed all directories. Now my commands.tar.Z file is 1.24 Mbytes
>big.
>I have made a file system of size 1450 blocks on a 1.44Mbyte disk, but
>when I mount it and say
>
>      cp commands.tar.Z /mnt3
>
>I get the following error message :
>
>cp : error 0

There are only 1440 blocks on a 1.44M disk.

There is a (probably unique) bug in cp which would cause "error 0". It
doesn't allow for partial writes.

However, I don't see how a partial write could be caused by the above
setup. In Minix, the only partial writes that I can remember occur when
writing past the end of a disk device. For these, the bug would only
cause cp to report an error one step too early.
--
Bruce Evans
Internet: brucee@runxtsa.runx.oz.au    UUCP: uunet!runxtsa.runx.oz.au!brucee

sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au (08/14/90)

In article <2159@runxtsa.runx.oz.au>, brucee@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Bruce Evans) writes:
> In article <3077.26c290ee@cc.curtin.edu.au> sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>>compressed all directories. Now my commands.tar.Z file is 1.24 Mbytes
>>big.
>>I have made a file system of size 1450 blocks on a 1.44Mbyte disk, but
>>when I mount it and say
>>
>>      cp commands.tar.Z /mnt3
>>
>>I get the following error message :
>>
>>cp : error 0
>
> There are only 1440 blocks on a 1.44M disk.

I must apologize for the above misunderstanding.
When I formatted the disk under DOS, it actually formatted to 1.451Mbytes.
Therefore I made a 1450 block size file system on the disk.
This still does not explain the error message.

Marcus Schnell

owens@unix1.j6.eucom.mil (Kerry F. Owens) (08/15/90)

> In article <2159@runxtsa.runx.oz.au>, brucee@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Bruce Evans)
>  writes:
> > In article <3077.26c290ee@cc.curtin.edu.au> sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
> >>compressed all directories. Now my commands.tar.Z file is 1.24 Mbytes
> >>I have made a file system of size 1450 blocks on a 1.44Mbyte disk, but
> >>when I mount it and say
> >>
> >>      cp commands.tar.Z /mnt3
> >>
> >>I get the following error message :
> >>
> >>cp : error 0
> >
> > There are only 1440 blocks on a 1.44M disk.
> >
> I must apologize for the above misunderstanding.
> When I formatted the disk under DOS, it actually formatted to 1.451Mbytes.
> Therefore I made a 1450 block size file system on the disk.

On my Unix system at home I have 1.2Mb diskettes.
They format to 1260blocks if I remember correctly.  But only when I access
the raw device.
I run mkfs on them which creates the i-nodes and file system structure.
I let mkfs decide on how many i-nodes based on the size of the file system
specified.

On my unix system I would use df or fsck to tell me the number of unused
blocks available. after the whole procedure.

I will check this on my unix and my minix tonite.
Kerry F Owens
US Address	BRD Address		Internet Address
Box 453		Brand Str 13		owens@unix1.j6.eucom.mil
APO NY 09128	7032 Sindelfingen 7