[comp.os.minix] badblocks.c

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (08/11/90)

Last June 19, I posted a little patch for badblocks.c.  It was
incorrectly handling blocks whose bitmap entry was outside the first
block of the zone bitmap.  Just recently, I got mail from Andy saying
that he was unable to apply the patch.  Has anyone else applied the
patch?  It was relative to 1.5.10, and the message ID was
26693@bcsaic.UUCP.  Have I screwed up *again* in front of the whole
world?   :-)

Paul Allen

Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (08/15/90)

In <29884@bcsaic.UUCP> paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) writes:

>Last June 19, I posted a little patch for badblocks.c.  It was
>incorrectly handling blocks whose bitmap entry was outside the first
>block of the zone bitmap.  Just recently, I got mail from Andy saying
>that he was unable to apply the patch.  Has anyone else applied the
>patch?  It was relative to 1.5.10, and the message ID was
>26693@bcsaic.UUCP.  Have I screwed up *again* in front of the whole
>world?   :-)

I now keep sources modified from patches posted to the network on-line
on my VAX, and the diff I get for badblocks is:
*** /usr/users/ghelmer/minix/root/commands/badblocks.c	Mon Feb 19 16:05:10 1990
--- badblocks.c	Tue Jul 10 22:38:40 1990
***************
*** 469,475 ****

    block = z_num >> BIT_MAP_SHIFT;	/* which block */
    offset = z_num - (block << BIT_MAP_SHIFT);	/* offset in block */
!   words = offset / INT_BITS;	/* which word */

    blk_offset = (long) (2 + sp->s_imap_block);
    blk_offset *= (long) BLOCK_SIZE;
--- 469,475 ----

    block = z_num >> BIT_MAP_SHIFT;	/* which block */
    offset = z_num - (block << BIT_MAP_SHIFT);	/* offset in block */
!   words = z_num / INT_BITS;	/* which word */

    blk_offset = (long) (2 + sp->s_imap_block);
    blk_offset *= (long) BLOCK_SIZE;

>Paul Allen

I'm sure my modified badblocks.c comes from your patches, Paul.
I guess I should keep a patch log file to be sure :-)

>--
>Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
>Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen
--
Guy Helmer
work: DSU Computing Services, Business & Education Institute    (605) 256-5315
play: MidIX System Support Services                             (605) 256-2788
dsuvax!ghelmer@cs.utexas.edu, ...!bigtex!loft386!dsuvax!ghelmer

archer%segin4.segin.fr@relay.prime.com (Vincent Archer) (08/16/90)

Paul Allen <paula@bcsaic.uucp> says:
>Last June 19, I posted a little patch for badblocks.c.  It was
>incorrectly handling blocks whose bitmap entry was outside the first
>block of the zone bitmap.  Just recently, I got mail from Andy saying
>that he was unable to apply the patch.  Has anyone else applied the
>patch?  It was relative to 1.5.10, and the message ID was
>26693@bcsaic.UUCP.  Have I screwed up *again* in front of the whole
>world?   :-)

I don't remember any special difficulty in applying the patch (It was applied,
I'm sure of it). Or maybe it was another badblocks patch (was there more than
one? It's difficult to remember events from this prehistorical epoch :-)

    Vincent

Vincent Archer             | Email:archer%segin4.segin.fr@relay.prime.com
"People that are good at finding excuses are never good at anything else"