[comp.os.minix] Question about term.c and modems

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (08/20/90)

Some modems require an initialization string before they will do
anything useful.  Has anyone figured out a way to have term.c or
a shell script or something else provide a canned string to the modem?

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (08/21/90)

In article <7349@star.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

>Some modems require an initialization string before they will do
>anything useful.  Has anyone figured out a way to have term.c or
>a shell script or something else provide a canned string to the modem?
>
>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Also has anyone implemented a lock for exclusive access to the modem.
Things get wedged when I (stupidly) run term from two virtual consoles.

Mike Ching

L.Parkes@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Lloyd Parkes) (08/21/90)

In article <7349@star.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (The Big Cheese) writes:

   Some modems require an initialization string before they will do
   anything useful.  Has anyone figured out a way to have term.c or
   a shell script or something else provide a canned string to the modem?

Isn't this what /etc/modemcap is for? While minix doesn't use a
modemcap file for anything at the moment, that sounds like the logical
way to do it to me.

					Lloyd
Lloyd Parkes		|
lloyd@comp.vuw.ac.nz	|