[comp.os.minix] Help for trashed DOS disk

greg@mobius.Viewlogic.COM (Gregory Larkin) (08/21/90)

Hello all,

	I have just purchased Minix 1.3 from PH.  The system configuration is a
6 MHz IBM AT.  One
	1.2 MByte floppy, a 20 MByte hard disk (type 2 - C:) and a 30 Mbyte
hard disk (type 3 - D:).
	I just installed the 30 meg disk last night, intending on installing
Minix on it and keeping
	DOS on the 20 meg disk.

	Well, I was playing around with Minix and created a 100 block empty
file system on /dev/hd0.
	Apparently, this trashed the COMMAND.COM on C:, because I can no longer
boot DOS from the hard
	disk (D: had been empty).  Does anyone know if something like NORTON
utilities can get at my
	files on the C: drive?  I don't really care if I have to extract the
files to D: and then
	reformat C:.  Is there an easier way I can recover from this *stoopid*
(sic) mistake??

--
Greg Larkin (ASIC Engineer)
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. (The CAE Company)

price@mandala.unl.edu (Chad Price) (08/22/90)

In <1990Aug21.094541@mobius.Viewlogic.COM> greg@mobius.Viewlogic.COM (Gregory Larkin) writes:

>I have just purchased Minix 1.3 from PH.  The system configuration is a
>6 MHz IBM AT.  One
>1.2 MByte floppy, a 20 MByte hard disk (type 2 - C:) and a 30 Mbyte
>hard disk (type 3 - D:).
>I just installed the 30 meg disk last night, intending on installing
>Minix on it and keeping
>DOS on the 20 meg disk.

>Well, I was playing around with Minix and created a 100 block empty
>file system on /dev/hd0.
>Apparently, this trashed the COMMAND.COM on C:, because I can no longer
>boot DOS from the hard
>disk (D: had been empty).  Does anyone know if something like NORTON
>utilities can get at my
>files on the C: drive?  I don't really care if I have to extract the
>files to D: and then
>reformat C:.  Is there an easier way I can recover from this *stoopid*
>(sic) mistake??

I'm not sure there is an easy way: you may have overwritten your parttion
table and the FAT, as well as easily replaced items like files. My memory
of Minix is that /dev/hd0 treats the ENTIRE disk as a Minix
partition, regardless of the partition table.

What I would try for this problem is to swap your C & D drives, do a sys
on D (now C) (after reformatting it if necessary), and boot from it. THen use
something like Norton Utilities or Mace to attempt to recover anything you
can and want from your former Drive C.

Before I tried the solution in the previous paragraph, I would boot from a
floppy and see if I could make any headway using a data recovery program
from the floppy. Norton & other recovery probems can read absolute sectors
on apparently dead drives, but unless the file you are looking for is
ascii or some semblance thereof, and the file is either small , or you
have reorganized your drive so that files are in contiguous regions,
finding the data may be quite a chore.

This kind of problem is discussed in the book on data recovery by Paul
Mace.

BTW - I made the same mistake when I first played with Minix, and
recovered by restoring from a backup. No other option seemed feasable in a
reasonable amount of time.

Chad Price
price@fergvax.unl.edu

greg@mobius.Viewlogic.COM (Gregory Larkin) (08/22/90)

Hello again,

I thought I would post my experiences with reviving a DOS partition that
has been overwritten by the Minix "mkfs" command for any unlucky souls
who did the same in the future.

Two software packages are needed. First, get a copy of Norton Utilities
(with Norton Disk Doctor) and a copy of "hd_fdisk.exe" from the hd_minix
package which is available from the net.  FDISK from standard DOS
distribution may also work, but I'm not sure.  MKFS overwrote my boot
sector, FATs, etc. on my C: drive.  I booted from floppy and loaded Norton's
Disk Doctor.  It proceeded to ask me if I wanted to make the first hard
drive bootable.  I answered YES and it worked some magic.

The only problem after this is that MKFS must have erased the DOS
partition information, so NDD could not restore the files or
subdirectories.  To get around this, I used hd_fdisk to create a DOS
partition and wrote the information to the partition table. (Dangerous,
I know, but at this point....)  So now when I boot from floppy, I have
a C: drive which claims to be completely empty (although we know
differently) and a D: drive which has been OK thoughout.  I now try to run
NDD so I can repair the boot sector on C:, write the system files to C:,
etc.  NDD reports that the CMOS settings do not match the drive type.  I
had to muck around with SETUP to force the PC to recognize the C: drive as
even present at one point.  Apparently, there is some option in NDD that
allows you to force the drive type to a value, if you are definitely sure
that it is correct.

I haven't tried that yet, but I will...

Ever optimistic....