[comp.os.minix] Three questions

cmj851@csc.anu.oz (Richard Walker) (08/23/90)

Has anyone tried Minix on an Amstrad PPC640 (the portable, not to be
confused with a PC1640)?  I'm not concerned
about the CPU, BIOS, etc. (as they are all PC compatible) but rather
that Minix appears to rely on a particular disk controller.

Also, the computer uses 3.5" 720K disks.  I can probably have 5.25" disks
converted here, but it would be more convenient to get them in 3.5"
format.  Can Prentice-Hall supply them?

Lastly, the monthly `frequently asked questions' posting to this group
lists addresses for Prentice-Hall in England, Holland, etc.  Is there
an Australian address?

Thanks in advance.
--
Richard Walker                            (walrmath@fac3.anu.oz.au)
Centre for Mathematical Analysis

ken@minster.york.ac.uk (08/24/90)

In article <2690.26d3c865@csc.anu.oz> walrmath@fac3.anu.oz.au writes:
>Has anyone tried Minix on an Amstrad PPC640 (the portable, not to be
>confused with a PC1640)?  I'm not concerned
>about the CPU, BIOS, etc. (as they are all PC compatible) but rather
>that Minix appears to rely on a particular disk controller.

I used Minix 1.2 on my PPC512 with double drives. No problems at all. Not
much fun without a hard disk though!

Ken

--
Ken Tindell             UUCP:     ..!mcsun!ukc!minster!ken
Computer Science Dept.  Internet: ken%minster.york.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk