[comp.os.minix] does /dev/hd0 really ignore the partition table ?

grwalter@watfun.uwaterloo.ca (Fred Walter) (08/23/90)

price@mandala.unl.edu (Chad Price) writes:
>My memory of Minix is that /dev/hd0 treats the ENTIRE disk as a Minix
>partition, regardless of the partition table.

Is this true ? I haven't MINIX yet, but when I get it I plan on having two
partitions; one for DOS and one for MINIX. If I have to worry about
trashing the DOS partition though...

I can avoid writing to /dev/hd0 directly, but does anything else use that
the might be buggy enough to write where it shouldn't ?

	fred

HIGGINS@ge-dab.ge.com (Sean C. Higgins 8*259-2073) (08/23/90)

>price@mandala.unl.edu (Chad Price) writes:
>>My memory of Minix is that /dev/hd0 treats the ENTIRE disk as a Minix
>>partition, regardless of the partition table.
>
>Is this true ? I haven't MINIX yet, but when I get it I plan on having two
>partitions; one for DOS and one for MINIX. If I have to worry about
>trashing the DOS partition though...
>
>I can avoid writing to /dev/hd0 directly, but does anything else use that
>the might be buggy enough to write where it shouldn't ?
>
>	fred

     If you are afraid of writing to /dev/hd0, rename is to something like
/dev/HARD_DRIVE_0.  That way you still have it available and nothing will use
it by mistake...

                       Sean

grwalter@watfun.uwaterloo.ca (Fred Walter) (08/24/90)

grwalter@watfun.uwaterloo.ca (Fred Walter) writes:

>>>Is this true ? I haven't MINIX yet, but when I get it I plan on having two
>>>partitions; one for DOS and one for MINIX. If I have to worry about
>>>trashing the DOS partition though...

A kind person informed me that :

:/dev/hd0 refers to the raw drive (the whole thing).
:If you want to access partitions, use hd1, hd2, hd3, etc.
:I have DOS in hd1, minix on hd2 and Minix boot on hd3.

	fred

In article <1990Aug24.041837.29054@watdragon.waterloo.edu> grwalter@watfun.uwaterloo.ca (Fred Walter) writes:
>A kind person informed me that :
>
>:/dev/hd0 refers to the raw drive (the whole thing).
>:If you want to access partitions, use hd1, hd2, hd3, etc.
>:I have DOS in hd1, minix on hd2 and Minix boot on hd3.
>
>	fred

On the ST version, hd0 refers to the boot block of the hard disk at SCSI 0/0.
hd[1-4] are partitions 1 thru 4, and hd5 is the entire disk, ignoring any
partition boundaries.

(On my system, I use hd00, hd0[a-d], hd10, hd1[a-d], etc...)
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip