[comp.os.minix] X windows under MINIX

nicholas@wacsvax.uwa.oz (Nicholas Yue) (07/31/90)

Questions

	(1)  Has anyone manage to implement X windows under MINIX, say 1.5.10 ?

	(2)  What would be the minimum requirement e.g. memory size, hard disk
			 capacity, video card [EGA,VGA,...], etc...?

Thanks in advance

jpc@fctunl.rccn.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) (08/06/90)

(1) - I doubt

(2)
Quoting from my command line:
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sources    203832 May 17 15:21 libX11.a
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sources      4462 Jan 26  1990 libXau.a
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sources    163392 May 17 15:21 libXaw.a
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     system     112478 Feb  5  1990 libXcu.a
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sources     11288 Jan 26  1990 libXdmcp.a
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sources     20866 Jan 26  1990 libXext.a
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sources     23370 Jan 26  1990 libXinput.a
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sources     52104 Jan 30  1990 libXmu.a
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sources    202614 May 17 15:21 libXt.a
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sources      4790 Jan 26  1990 liboldX.a

Adds to 821 Kb

even the tyniest X aplication uses libX11, almost all use libX11+libXt
and the vast majority uses libX11+libXt+libXaw. (568Kb)

So:

Hip: ST
	Needs:
		shared libs (or each app will bring it's own copy of the library)

Hip: PC 8086 (hahahahahahaaa)
Hip: PC 80286 Protected mode (I don't think so (64Kb segments))
	Needs:
		A (very) optimizing (optimist) compiler.
		A real loader.
		The ability to break a library into several segments
		Shared Memory
Hip: PC 80386 32 Bit Mode
	Needs:	Shared Memory (Or a big & fast swap)

They all need TCP (or blood, sweat and tears over the X listings)

		SPARCStation	VAXStation
Shared libs 	Yes		No

X11 binaries	3.5 Mb		20 Mb
Server		0.7 Kb		1 Mb

Also the X fellows recommend 50-80Mb free before untarring the sources
to compile.
Arround here the X tree uses 83Mb

The VAX2000 here are configured with a 25Mb swap space, we could live
with less but less than 10Mb is very short (maybe too short)

Beter have VGA (a bit more pixels, a more usable palette, X comes with
server code for VGA)

Three button mouse.

Not a good scenario.

--
Jose Pedro T. Pina Coelho   | BITNET/Internet: jpc@fctunl.rccn.pt
Rua Jau N 1, 2 Dto          | UUCP: jpc@unl.uucp

- If all men were brothers, would you let one marry your sister ?

bxi8859@cs.rit.edu (Ingalls Bruce X) (08/09/90)

I have a '386, and would love to get an (affordable <$600) X windows system
for learning. I am considering Mark Williams Unix. (will that have X?)

Is XINU too dead to support X? Could I get GNU OS and GNU X (does that
exist?) to run on my machine? I am not a UNIX wizard (that's why I want
this).
I can't find/afford a mag tape reader, and don't think FTPing megs of X
is a great idea. Any clues to getting X?
P.S.: I have had problems sending personal Email from this site.

dstailey@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Doug Stailey) (08/10/90)

In article <1828@cs.rit.edu> bxi8859@cs.rit.edu (Ingalls Bruce X) writes:
>I have a '386, and would love to get an (affordable <$600) X windows system
>Is XINU too dead to support X? Could I get GNU OS and GNU X (does that

MIT's X windows is in the public domain, you don't need the Free
Software Foundation for that.  As for "GNU OS" Richard Stallman is
still deciding on what to start with.  First choice is CMU's Mach, if
they can get all the AT&T code out of it in about 6 months.  Second
and third are MIT's TRIX, somewhat similar to old MINIX in that it is
message passing and only compatible with version 7 UNIX and Berkeley's
Sprite system which is like BSD + something like NSF.

jla@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Joseph Arceneaux) (08/10/90)

In article <9809@life.ai.mit.edu> dstailey@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Doug Stailey) writes:
>  As for "GNU OS" Richard Stallman is
>still deciding on what to start with.  First choice is CMU's Mach, if
>they can get all the AT&T code out of it in about 6 months.

We are now also considering writing our own kernel from scratch.  This
decision will probably be reached in the near future.

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (08/11/90)

In article <JPC.90Aug6160608@fogo.fctunl.rccn.pt> jpc@fctunl.rccn.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) writes:
>even the tyniest X aplication uses libX11, almost all use libX11+libXt
>and the vast majority uses libX11+libXt+libXaw. (568Kb)
>

>They all need TCP (or blood, sweat and tears over the X listings)
This is not true.  TCP is only needed if you want to have X be network
independant.  This means that you can transparently display a window running
on one machine, but displays on another.  If you look at the source for Xlib,
you would notice three types of connections: TCP, DECNET and a local connect
which uses I believe pipes, or a similar communcation mechanism present in
most unixes.  If you want to network several minix machines with X and want
to display from one machine to another, then yes you do need TCP/IP.  Just
trying to keep rumors from spreading.

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 |                           | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

laurent@hpgnd.HP.COM (Laurent JULLIARD) (08/22/90)

/ hpgnd:comp.os.minix / nicholas@wacsvax.uwa.oz (Nicholas Yue) /  5:36 am  Jul 31, 1990 /

----------

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (08/23/90)

In <3090005@hpgnd.HP.COM> laurent@hpgnd.HP.COM (Laurent JULLIARD) writes:

>/ hpgnd:comp.os.minix / nicholas@wacsvax.uwa.oz (Nicholas Yue) /  5:36 am  Jul 31, 1990 /
>Questions

>	(1)  Has anyone manage to implement X windows under MINIX, say 1.5.10 ?

At best, X would be very difficult to implement and run under PC-MINIX,
partly due to the 64K I&D limitation caused by the Intel architecture.
At worst, it would be impossible.  X is huge (40 to 50Mb of source, I
hear) and requires either lots of real memory (8 to 16Mb) or virtual
memory to run well.  X would also have to be worked over to support
MINIX's Ameoba net protocol, unless someone ports the BSD TCP/IP net code
to MINIX.

>	(2)  What would be the minimum requirement e.g. memory size, hard disk
>			 capacity, video card [EGA,VGA,...], etc...?

In comp.unix.i386, people report that X needs 8Mb RAM or it makes the
machine go into heavy paging.  To compile the X sources, you'd need
something like 80Mb disk.

It's often suggested that someone try porting the MGR system to MINIX.
MGR is a small window manager that might be suited to MINIX.

--
Guy Helmer
work: DSU Computing Services, Business & Education Institute    (605) 256-5315

eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug23.145802.12274@dsuvax.uucp>, ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) writes:
> In <3090005@hpgnd.HP.COM> laurent@hpgnd.HP.COM (Laurent JULLIARD) writes:
>
> >/ hpgnd:comp.os.minix / nicholas@wacsvax.uwa.oz (Nicholas Yue) /  5:36 am  Jul 31, 1990 /
> >Questions
>
> >	(1)  Has anyone manage to implement X windows under MINIX, say 1.5.10 ?
>
> At best, X would be very difficult to implement and run under PC-MINIX,
> partly due to the 64K I&D limitation caused by the Intel architecture.
> At worst, it would be impossible.  X is huge (40 to 50Mb of source, I
> hear) and requires either lots of real memory (8 to 16Mb) or virtual
> memory to run well.  X would also have to be worked over to support
> MINIX's Ameoba net protocol, unless someone ports the BSD TCP/IP net code
> to MINIX.
>
> >	(2)  What would be the minimum requirement e.g. memory size, hard disk
> >			 capacity, video card [EGA,VGA,...], etc...?
>
> In comp.unix.i386, people report that X needs 8Mb RAM or it makes the
> machine go into heavy paging.  To compile the X sources, you'd need
> something like 80Mb disk.
>
> It's often suggested that someone try porting the MGR system to MINIX.
> MGR is a small window manager that might be suited to MINIX.
>
> >Thanks in advance
> >----------
> --
> Guy Helmer
> work: DSU Computing Services, Business & Education Institute    (605) 256-5315
> play: MidIX System Support Services                             (605) 256-2788
> dsuvax!ghelmer@cs.utexas.edu, ...!bigtex!loft386!dsuvax!ghelmer

I suppose that I might as well admit that I have been looking at the possibility
of porting MGR to MINIX-ST for some time now.  It shouldn't be impossible; it
has already been done for the ST under OS-9, or so I am led to believe.

I decided that the job would be pretty near impossible until I got a Sun and
an ST side by side, and I finally achieved this about two months ago.
Unfortunately I have lots of other things to do as well (I've just spent the
weekend putting an alarm on my car, for example) so don't expect miracles.

The first thing is a 32-bit compiler (see the notes with MGR, although I
suppose it might be possible with a 16-bit one, but I don't have the time to
waste).  Until we get a 32-bit ACK CC (hello Andy & Frans !!) this means gcc.
The first problem is that the current gcc for MINIX-ST isn't compatible with
MINIX-ST 1.5.10 libraries, so I had to work through the libraries to get them
to work with gcc.  Not too much of a problem (mainly make sure that ALL sizeof's
are cast), and I now have a gcc-compiled MINIX-ST 1.5.10.  It's about 40k
smaller than the original, and noticeably faster.  When I am happy with it I
will post the diffs for gcc to the net.

I then got the Sun to cross-compile me a version of MGR with stubs for the
missing library functions which MGR requires.  Some of these (like fchown) are
just annoying, and some (like select) are going to be a real pig.

I decided to attack the problems as they occurred, so I kermitted(?) the
binary across to the ST.  It gets as far as deciding that it can't find
/dev/mouse, which seems pretty logical.  I have got /dev/screen back into
MINIX-ST 1.5.10, but am currently having trouble resuscitating the mouse
driver.

And that's as far as I've got at the moment ......

Regards
Andy Michael

--
Andy Michael (eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk)      " Software cannot be written to
85 Hawthorne Crescent                        be completely free of errors."