[comp.os.minix] minix test 21

mb@eecae.msu.edu (Micheal L. Bernson) (08/24/90)

I am running minix 1.5.10 on a 268 machine. This is system is build by
cross compiling using mcc.

I have upgrade my minix from version 1.3 to 1.5.10 and am having
problems with test21. If I run the script in the test directory
the system panics in test21.

If I run just test21 then I get a message "subtest 1 error=91 errno=13"
This error message is cause by rename return the wrong error code when
the system tries to rename a directory.

Mike Bernson

brucee@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Bruce Evans) (08/26/90)

In article <1990Aug24.163254.8597@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> mb@eecae.msu.edu (Micheal L. Bernson) writes:
>the system panics in test21.
>
>If I run just test21 then I get a message "subtest 1 error=91 errno=13"
>This error message is cause by rename return the wrong error code when
>the system tries to rename a directory.

The wrong error code is probably OK. The bug in test21. It tries to rename the
current directory somewhere/test to something unreasonable, expecting an error
code corresponding to `unreasonable'. It gets an error code for lack of write
permissions in `somewhere'. There used to be similar problems with the test
directory itself before its permissions were kludged to 777. However, nothing
is known about the permissions of the directory above the test directory. The
problem usually only shows up when test21 is run by root. Root's permissions
are too strong, so the program switches to uid 2 (usually bin). This often
loses write permission on the directory above test.

All the tests should build their own work directories in /tmp or /usr/tmp,
and give them suitable permissions.
--
Bruce Evans
Internet: brucee@runxtsa.runx.oz.au    UUCP: uunet!runxtsa.runx.oz.au!brucee

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (08/27/90)

In article <2199@runxtsa.runx.oz.au> brucee@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Bruce Evans) writes:
>All the tests should build their own work directories in /tmp or /usr/tmp,

You're right.  I'll fix them.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)