[comp.os.minix] Trouble using ST-minix

erlingh@idt.unit.no (Erling Henanger) (08/23/90)

Hello netters.
I have a strange problem using st-minix, and that is that the system hangs up
VERY often. Sometimes the system hangs immediately after loading the minix.img,
whithout getting any chance to login at all !
This might happen 10-20 times in a row, and then suddenly the system will
work for hours (and weeks). I can't seem to figure out any reason why this
happpens at all, since nothing similar ever happens while running TOS.
I`ve tried compiling the GNUkernel (which was a pain in the ... when the
system started to hang...) but the same thing happened with this kernel.
Right now I'm desperate, because I haven't been able to use the system
for weeks, and I'm curious to see whether minix 1.5.10 will work any better.
(Got the sources downloaded and all...)

If i manage to login at all, the system usually hangs up after
5-10 minutes.
I've tried recompiling my original sources for commands, kernel, and libraries
but nothing seems to be working any better than the other.
My hardware is a Mega-ST 2, whith a Megafile 60. (It also hangs up if I
disconnect the hard-disk, so that is definetly NOT the reason).
At first I didn't have a blitter, and  when I finally got one, nothing was
changed.
I use (american) TOS 1.4, but originally had Swedish TOS 1.2 that didn't
work either.
Sometimes I get the kernel-panic message '*task got message from -1' when
the system hangs, but usually I see no error message at all.

Any hint to get rid of this uglyness is very much appreciated.

Erling henanger

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (08/23/90)

seems that something very basic went wrong....
did you CAREFULLY convert sendrec.s etc. to GNU syntax?

C.v.W.

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug22.234432.2298@idt.unit.no>, erlingh@idt.unit.no (Erling Henanger) writes:
> Hello netters.
> I have a strange problem using st-minix, and that is that the system hangs up
> VERY often. Sometimes the system hangs immediately after loading the minix.img,
> whithout getting any chance to login at all !
> This might happen 10-20 times in a row, and then suddenly the system will
> work for hours (and weeks).

TOS (like MS/DOS) is polled not interrupt driven.
MINIX ( like UNIX(r) ) is interrupt driven.

You likely have a problem in either the interrupt handler (MMU and GPIB)
or and interrupt generator (DMA, ACIA).  These problems would normally
not be seen under TOS.  DMA interrupts are never used by TOS.

Try reseating all of the chips, particularly the square ones (CAREFULLY).
This solves many problems.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

woju@mist.UUCP (Wolfgang Jung) (08/30/90)

In <2145@lzsc.ATT.COM>, hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:

|Try reseating all of the chips, particularly the square ones (CAREFULLY).
|This solves many problems.

Something which should be done, if you pull out your chips is:
CLEAN all those pins with some sort of 'isprpyl alcohol' you'll wonder
how much dirt is on those Pins and the sockets.. Ihad one a nearly
related Problem, which i first tried to ix with cleaning the chips, that's
how a got to this Informatione, at the end a fixed the Problem by pushing
my ramextension(512k) will hard into the shifter socket.. So just Try to
do the easy things first before unsoldering something.. Or write some test
programs, which will test the severavb Interupsources in the ST...

Greetings
	WJ

--
#===========================================================================#
#       Wolfgang Jung                   Email:woju@mist.UUCP                #

drl@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (David R. Linn) (09/04/90)

>>From @VM1.NoDak.EDU:INFO-MINIX-ERRORS@PLAINS.NODAK.EDU Sat Sep  1 04:42:25 1990
>>>From: Wolfgang Jung <woju%MIST.UUCP@VM1.NoDak.EDU>

>>Something which should be done, if you pull out your chips is:
>>CLEAN all those pins with some sort of 'isprpyl alcohol' you'll wonder
>>how much dirt is on those Pins and the sockets..

Just to keep things tidy, that should be 'isopropyl alcohol', often
sold as rubbing alcohol.  The name is a chemical one indicating that
is is an isomer (alternate form) of an alcohol with 3 carbon atoms.

	 David