[comp.os.minix] News Under Minix

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (09/04/90)

I am taking the plunge over to Minix for my system.  I will be upgrading to
a 386sx board and installing all the 32 bit stuff for it (estimated time is
a month total).  Minix is my system of choice because (a) I do not have the
money for a System V package, even Esix (b) it can run 32 bit stuff using
Bruce's patches (thanks Bruce) (c) it comes with source.  The fact that I
like Minix has nothing to do with it! ( :-) ).

My problem: my home site currently forwards news to other sites.  I need to
continue this from Minix.  I know that there are patches for vn to read the
news.  And I understand that there are problems running some of the Cnews
scripts under the Minix shell.  I would be willing to even help alpha- or
beta-test any news programs that people might be working on.

Oh, and one more thing - does anyone know how the UUPC software package
(the version that was made to look like standard UUCP with uucico, uucp,
 uux, etc.) handles RNEWS requests/packages?

Thanks in advance.
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer, WA2YYW		cci632!ccird2!tvf@uunet.uu.net
	tvf1477@ma.isc.rit.edu      atexnet!kodak!swamps!frau!tvf@uunet.uu.net

tgcpwd@rc3.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) (09/05/90)

In article <39635@cci632.UUCP> tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:
>My problem: my home site currently forwards news to other sites.  I need to
>continue this from Minix.  I know that there are patches for vn to read the
>news.  And I understand that there are problems running some of the Cnews
>scripts under the Minix shell.  I would be willing to even help alpha- or
>beta-test any news programs that people might be working on.

I currently use W-news, which is still in development phase. It is a very
simple straightforward newsbatch receive/send program suite for end nodes. If
that is all you opt for, ask Fred van Kempen (waltje@minixug.hobby.nl). His
system (The NLMug machine minixug) runs B-news 2.11, as far as I known
without glitches. Again ask him.

>Oh, and one more thing - does anyone know how the UUPC software package
>(the version that was made to look like standard UUCP with uucico, uucp,
> uux, etc.) handles RNEWS requests/packages?

I have a slightly newer version that works flawlessly. Once again (all
together now) ask Fred van Kempen.

Fred van Kempen has been very busy (and still is) to get these packages like
wmail (=mailx), umail (=rmail), wnews (=news) and uucp (=uucp) together.
Wmail has seen a very thorough cleanup, umail and uucp are now being worked
upon, and wnews is in development. For information about the usages of these
packages (I'm mainly an user) mail me at wiesje.

Met vriendelijke groeten, Wim 'Blue Baron' van Dorst

Blue Baron = Wim van Dorst, Voice (+31) 074-443937, (+31) 02152-42319
(-:       baron@wiesje.hobby.nl           tgcpwd@urc.tue.nl       :-)

nwosuck@aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com (Kingsley Nwosu) (09/05/90)

In article <39635@cci632.UUCP>, tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:
> I am taking the plunge over to Minix for my system.  I will be upgrading to
> a 386sx board and installing all the 32 bit stuff for it (estimated time is
> a month total).  Minix is my system of choice because (a) I do not have the
> money for a System V package, even Esix (b) it can run 32 bit stuff using
> Bruce's patches (thanks Bruce) (c) it comes with source.  The fact that I
> like Minix has nothing to do with it! ( :-) ).

How can I get this Bruce's patch?

--
Kingsley Nwosu				...uunet!ibmps2!aix!nwosuck
IBM AIX  Dev. 		                |"All ambitions are lawful except those