[comp.os.minix] Booting MINIX AT from HD / Wrong CRC

claus@nixhhs.UUCP (Peter Kahl) (09/06/90)

Hi,
since about three months I am running MINIX 1.5.10 on a PC clone. Thanks to
all guys who did lots of work in the past to make MINIX such an excellent
product.

I am also running MS-DOS 4.01 on my PC (no flames please) and I wish to boot
either MINIX or MS-DOS from my harddisk. My knowledge of MINIX and MS-DOS
is not very deep so far. Sometimes blue-eyed, I took the following steps:

- installed 4 partitions on my 120 MB harddisk, all partitions starting on an
  even cylinder, all partitions having an even number of sectors,
- copied MINIX Boot Floppy to /dev/hd2 (using dd)
- copied MINIX Root File to /dev/hd3 (using dd)
- made partition 2 the active one (with FDISK of MS-DOS and fdisk of MINIX, I
  tried both versions).

When I try to boot MINIX the system comes up with the message BETRIEBSSYSTEMS
FEHLT (= Operating System missing). The guy wo build my PC clone told me that
this message comes from the primary boot sector, which has detected that the
boot sector of partition 2 is invalid or does not contain a specific code in
the beginning of the code.

So, here are my questions (probably silly FAQs):

- What did I do wrong?
- Why is the floppy bootable, but the same code on the harddisk not?
- What is the way around this problem?

Did anybody solve this problem? I remember having seen some stuff in this
group written by Marcelo A. Ferreira Gomes, but the comments in the code were
Portuguese and the stuff got a little bit scrambled on its way through the net.

Any pointers to a solution of this problem will be appreciated.

BTW, on the way to 1.5.10 we only got one (!!)

               wrong CRC for /lib/ibm/catchsig.s

Everything else seems to be correct. Can some kind soul please e-mail this
file? There were no answers to my last requests in the past.

Many thanks, Claus

Claus-Peter Kahl 		| Nixdorf Computer AG
Tel. +49 40/6371-2420		| Ueberseering 33
(...uunet!)unido!nixhhs!claus  	| 2000 Hamburg 60
    NERV: nixhhs!claus.eunet  	| West Germany

cechew@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Earl Chew) (09/07/90)

In <1324@nixhhs.UUCP> claus@nixhhs.UUCP (Peter Kahl) writes:

>I am also running MS-DOS 4.01 on my PC (no flames please) and I wish to boot
>either MINIX or MS-DOS from my harddisk. My knowledge of MINIX and MS-DOS
>is not very deep so far. Sometimes blue-eyed, I took the following steps:

>- installed 4 partitions on my 120 MB harddisk, all partitions starting on an
>  even cylinder, all partitions having an even number of sectors,
>- copied MINIX Boot Floppy to /dev/hd2 (using dd)
>- copied MINIX Root File to /dev/hd3 (using dd)
>- made partition 2 the active one (with FDISK of MS-DOS and fdisk of MINIX, I
>  tried both versions).

Minix 1.5.10 does not require the use of all these evasive measures ---
although it is better to be safe than sorry.

Copying the Minix boot floppy to /dev/hd2 was not a good idea. This is because
the boot floppy is floppy specific and won't work at all on the hard disk. It
contains embedded to code read data from floppy disks (via the BIOS) and won't
work at all on the hard disk. You would be better off using shoelace. This will
permit you to boot from either DOS and Minix partitions (selectable at boot
time) and it will allow you to boot directly from a Minix file system (ie boot
/dev/hd3 in your case).

You can use the Minix boot floppy to boot Minix (and place the ram disk image
in /dev/hd3 -- I think) as ast suggests. I prefer to use shoelace since it then
allows you to throw the boot floppy away. You can boot directly from the hard
disk.

>- What did I do wrong?
>- Why is the floppy bootable, but the same code on the harddisk not?
>- What is the way around this problem?

>Did anybody solve this problem? I remember having seen some stuff in this

Shoelace is available from either the Adelaide or Nodak archives. Maybe NLMUG
has a copy in Europe. I'm not sure. I take a copy over there if they care to
send me a ticket :-)

Earl
--
Earl Chew, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia 3168
EMAIL: cechew@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au PHONE: 03 5655447 FAX: 03 5655146