[comp.os.minix] sc 6.0

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (09/07/90)

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl) writes:
>There was a spreadsheet program posted to comp.sources.unix recently.
>If there is anyone who is interested in spreadsheets, how about taking a
>look at it and seeing if it can be ported to MINIX.

Sc6 compiles on a 3b1 no problems, no change to (SYSV3) makefile.  It
consists of 1390K of source and docs, and 350 of binary.  Too large for a
PC, but a 68xxx might hack it.

Will
"If heaven too had passions  | Will Rose
     even heaven would       | UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cw
     grow old."  -  Li Ho.   | ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
                             | INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (09/08/90)

In <4284@crash.cts.com> cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) writes:

>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl) writes:
>>There was a spreadsheet program posted to comp.sources.unix recently.
>>If there is anyone who is interested in spreadsheets, how about taking a
>>look at it and seeing if it can be ported to MINIX.
>
>Sc6 compiles on a 3b1 no problems, no change to (SYSV3) makefile.  It
>consists of 1390K of source and docs, and 350 of binary.  Too large for a
>PC, but a 68xxx might hack it.

Wow.  I just generated a binary on my VAX using gcc, and it was 117K
of text, 21K of data, and 11.5K BSS.  Unstripped, its binary is 158K
on the disk.  The 3b1 must have an unsual processor or a less-than-optimal
compiler.

Considering the 8088 architecture, it just might fit if a couple features
were removed.  :-) or :-(, depending on how you look at it.
Anyway, I want to try shoehorning it into the PC.
--
Guy Helmer
work: DSU Computing Services, Business & Education Institute    (605) 256-5315

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (09/09/90)

>consists of 1390K of source and docs, and 350 of binary.  Too large for a
>PC, but a 68xxx might hack it.

Not too large for a PC, just too large for small model.  I use sc on a
PC/AT under System V, and of course plenty of MS/DOS programs are
larger than this.