[comp.os.minix] 1.44 drives

cs00chs@unccvax.uncc.edu (charles spell) (09/04/90)

How do I use all 1.44Kb's of these 3.5" High density disks?

mkfs(1M) and dd(1) seems to think that a formatted 1.44Kb drive is only
720Kb big. dos AND Norton Utilities say that the drive is 1440 blocks
									               (2880 sectors)

The following output led me to this conclusion:

dd if=/dev/at1 of=/dev/null bs=1024
records in 1200+0
records out 1200+0

mkfs /dev/at1 1440
mkfs: filesystem not big enough (this msg is paraphrased).

--
.--------------------------.  ...  |On the border of your mind lies a place
|uunet!mcnc!unccvax!cs00chs|  (")  |where dreams and reality are one...I will
`--------------------------'-w-U-w-|take you there, for I am the subject...
\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\|the subject of your imagination. -Aldo Nova

MRTSI@CUNYVM (Mimi Tausner) (09/05/90)

Saw your memo re 3.5" disks.  I can't answer your question, but it made me
wonder if you have MINIX on 3.5" disks.  If so, what version?  If you do have
it on 3.5" disks, did you get it from PH that way or did you create it yourself
?  How?

swamys@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Shankar) (09/05/90)

In article <90248.005031MRTSI@CUNYVM.BITNET> MRTSI@CUNYVM (Mimi Tausner) writes:
>Saw your memo re 3.5" disks.  .....     ..........
>  but it made me
>wonder if you have MINIX on 3.5" disks.  If so, what version?  If you do have
>it on 3.5" disks, did you get it from PH that way or did you create it yourself
>?  How?

 .....  And, post your answer to this  on the  net!

shankar swamy
swamys@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/07/90)

In article <2661@unccvax.uncc.edu> cs00chs@unccvax.uncc.edu (charles spell) writes:

>How do I use all 1.44Kb's of these 3.5" High density disks?
In 1.5 (i.e. 1.5.10), you can't use /dev/at1 to refer to 1.44M disks.  Use
/dev/PS1 or /dev/fd1 (preferably the former).  Of course, you have to have
that device installed in /dev first.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

sjo@cci632.UUCP (Steve Owens) (09/07/90)

	Tried to respond via email, but it bounced. Sooooooo.......

In article <2661@unccvax.uncc.edu>, cs00chs@unccvax.uncc.edu (charles spell) writes:

> How do I use all 1.44Kb's of these 3.5" High density disks?
>
> mkfs(1M) and dd(1) seems to think that a formatted 1.44Kb drive is only
> 720Kb big. dos AND Norton Utilities say that the drive is 1440 blocks
>
> The following output led me to this conclusion:
>
> dd if=/dev/at1 of=/dev/null bs=1024
> records in 1200+0
> records out 1200+0

	Well, with a block size of 1024 bytes:

	1200 blocks * 1024 bytes/block = 1228800 or ~1.23Mb.

	Taking into consideration 200 blocks worth of system info, it appears
that your system *is* writing it as a 1.44Mb floppy.

> mkfs /dev/at1 1440
> mkfs: filesystem not big enough (this msg is paraphrased).

	Since you didn't say whether you made a 1.44Mb partition before you
tried to make the file system, I can only venture to guess that the system
sees it as a zero length partition, hence the error message.

	NOTE: I don't claim to know all the different flavors of Unix, but
I'm sure that your system is seeing the full 1.44Mb floppy.

> .--------------------------.  ...  |On the border of your mind lies a place
> |uunet!mcnc!unccvax!cs00chs|  (")  |where dreams and reality are one...I will
> `--------------------------'-w-U-w-|take you there, for I am the subject...
> \%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\%\|the subject of your imagination. -Aldo Nova

					SJO

al@escom.com (Al Donaldson) (09/09/90)

In article <39697@cci632.UUCP>, sjo@cci632.UUCP (Steve Owens) writes:
> 	Taking into consideration 200 blocks worth of system info, it appears
> that your system *is* writing it as a 1.44Mb floppy.

What "system info?"  In my experience with dd, it takes into account
everything on the file (in this case, the device /dev/at1).
No system info, no carrying charges, no fine print, no hidden agenda..

As I explained in mail to Charles earlier, the most likely problem
was that he was using the wrong device name -- instead of using /dev/at,
he should make a device for /dev/PS and use it for 1.44 meg diskettes.
I use a Zenith portable with a 3.5 inch 1.44meg diskette, and it works
for me.  (Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my mind, and I still type
in /dev/at0, but that is another story..)

Some have asked how you get a 3.5" MINIX distribution.  In my case,
I made the purchase of the machine conditional on being able to run MINIX,
which of course was conditional on being able to use one of Heath-Zenith's
dual-drive 3.5/5.25 machines to copy the distribution.  :-)

> 	NOTE: I don't claim to know all the different flavors of Unix, but
> I'm sure that your system is seeing the full 1.44Mb floppy.

In the immortal words of Col. Sherman Potter on MASH, "Cow cookies."
Unless Charles has seriously hacked his version of MINIX to handle 1.44 meg
diskettes, then he most certainly is not getting 1.44 meg with /dev/at1.

Al

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (09/10/90)

In article <588@escom.com> al@escom.com (Al Donaldson) writes:
>In the immortal words of Col. Sherman Potter on MASH, "Cow cookies."
>Unless Charles has seriously hacked his version of MINIX to handle 1.44 meg
>diskettes, then he most certainly is not getting 1.44 meg with /dev/at1.

Sorry, Sherm.  I'm running 1.5.10 (well, I have the Virtual Consoles,
but that doesn't affect the disks.), and I get 1.44 Meg from /dev/at1
with no problems.  All I did was change a define somewhere in the sources
from "AUTOMATIC" to "THREE_INCH".  (Or something like that.  My Minix
machine is in the shop right now, so I can't check it.)  You just have
to let Minix know it's a 3.5 and not a 5.25.  I don't consider this a
"serious" hack.  I have the entire 1.5.10 sources, tar'd and comic'd,
which takes just under 1.4 Meg, on a single 1.44.

--
"The number of programs that can be done with the Hubble Space Telescope has
always greatly exceeded the time available for their execution, and this