[net.unix-wizards] mail delivery

DEAN@Usc-Ecl@sri-unix (09/04/82)

From: Jeff Dean <DEAN@Usc-Ecl>
Date:  1 Sep 1982 0134-PDT
During the past week or so, I sent out a couple of messages to these
mailing lists.  Ever since then, I have been inundated with messages
from mailer daemons and the like, complaining about things like
"service not available" or "service refused" or "unknown mailbox"
or some other such problem.  ALL of these messages have come from
sites on CSNET or uucp.

I'd like to make a request and ask a question.

Request:  PLEASE help keep mailing lists up to date.  If your account is
	removed, please let the mailing list maintainers know.  Also, if
	a site is removed from a routing table, please make sure that this
	information is propagated.

Question: With CSNET and uucp networks growing continually expanding, this
	seems like a real problem.  If I send a message to an individual,
	then yes, I want to hear about delivery problems.  If I send a
	message to a mailing list, then I don't want to hear about all
	the stuff that is undeliverable.  There has got to be some way
	of minimizing this problem - maybe by returning such messages
	to the mailing list maintainer, or maybe (even better) improving
	the reliability and robustness of the networks.  The Arpanet
	doesn't seem to have these problems (though of course, DoD has
	spent millions to achieve this).  Does anyone have ideas that might
	solve this problem (especially ideas that could be put to work
	"today")?

Drowning in a sea of messages (and this message may only make it worse),

	Jeff
-------

wmartin (09/08/82)

The ARPANET DOES indeed have just the same sort of problems; there has
been quite a bit of discussion about the problem and ways to fix/avoid
it on ARPANET lists like MSGGROUP. Essentially, it requires an
intelligent-enough mailing-list automatic forwarding mechanism which
will generate the proper entries (in ARPANET message headers, at least)
which show the "List-request" address as the source, so auto replies about
mail problems go there, but the "Reply-to" field contains the list name
itself, so individuals' replies go to the list as is correct. If you are
interested and can get to the ARPANET, peruse the extensive MSGGROUP
archives on USC-ECLC. The most recent discussion was in May and June, '82.

Will Martin