[comp.os.minix] >PC MINIX 1.5.10 has a few minor bugs

u31b3hs@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Haardt) (09/10/90)

Hello world!

>In article <3443@rwthinf.UUCP> u31b3hs@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Haardt) writes:
>>The opposite is true:  Before I had virtual terminals, I couldn't use the
>>kill key
>>at console and ps doesn't show console processes.  Now, everything works
>
>This was probably an installation problem.

Hmm. I didn't change the installation, but it works since I am using the virtual terminals.

>>o   wtmp/utmp has a problem with the serial lines since I am using virtual
>>    terminals.
>>    talk and write doesn't run because of this reason, but this is not
>>    important for
>
>I thought these were broken too. They worked better with 1.5.10 binaries than
>with 1.3 binaries :-].

Yesterday I fixed the problem.  login has a problem with tty numbers longer than one
digit.  There is a line like '=ttynr +'0'' which causes a corrupt utmp and wtmp file.
Use something like sprintf(... "%d",ttynr).

>>o   In the PH version, you have to use software scroll with a hercules card
>>    or the al capability does not work correct.
>
>The scrolling routines make assumptions about hardware wraparound that are
>invalid for the hercules card. The problem was noticed in the middle of the
>development of the virtual console driver and fixed immediately.

That's true, but virtual consoles are not part of the official MINIX. :-(
I got a mail asking where I got PC-MINIX 1.5.10.  I bought PH 1.3 and used the
upgrade kit from plains.nodak.edu.  I think that it is the easiest way to get
the actual version.

Michael Haardt