[comp.os.minix] Sc 6.8 binary size

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (09/10/90)

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) writes:
>In <4284@crash.cts.com> cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) writes:

stuff omitted here concerning sc 6.8 compiling...

>Wow.  I just generated a binary on my VAX using gcc, and it was 117K
>of text, 21K of data, and 11.5K BSS.  Unstripped, its binary is 158K
>on the disk.  The 3b1 must have an unsual processor or a less-than-optimal
>compiler.

Dumb looks still free...

I must *stop* programming until 0500 - the coffee makes *everything* seem
possible, even easy, and fingers float across the keyboard translating
thoughts before they are even recognised.  Only in the clear light of dawn
(well, mid-afternoon) does the horrible truth emerge...

Yes, I blew it, forgot to strip the symbol tables.  Try these numbers for
a PC7300/3b1 running SysV3.50 and compiling sc 6.8 with the standard
compiler, 'based on the AT&T portable C compiler':

155,900 bytes of text, 52,640 bytes of data, 18,768 bytes of bss for a total
of 227,308 bytes.  The actual file is 210,366 bytes.

Still won't fit in 64K+64K without unusual cunning; I hope you make it,
though, because it would be very nice to have.  By the way, the current
size record on the 7300 seems to be Kyoto lisp, with a 1.4 *Megabyte*
binary.  Not knowing anything about lisp, I can't imagine what they put
in a file that size - some of the whales they will keep catching perhaps?

Thanks for the warning - Will.

PS.  I've sent you a message and a new man4 - your current version is
     doubtful.

"If heaven too had passions  | Will Rose
     even heaven would       | UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cw
     grow old."  -  Li Ho.   | ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
                             | INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr

jds@mimsy.umd.edu (James da Silva) (09/10/90)

In article <4338@crash.cts.com> cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) writes:
>155,900 bytes of text, 52,640 bytes of data, 18,768 bytes of bss for a total
>of 227,308 bytes.  The actual file is 210,366 bytes.
>
>Still won't fit in 64K+64K without unusual cunning; I hope you make it,
>though, because it would be very nice to have.

Remember, these sizes are for 32 bit instruction sets.  Small model 8086
code for the same program is going to be a *lot* smaller.  If the data
space contains many pointers, it's going to shrink quite a bit as well.
While sc is a *bit* large, it's fair game for a try.

>By the way, the current
>size record on the 7300 seems to be Kyoto lisp, with a 1.4 *Megabyte*
>binary.  Not knowing anything about lisp, I can't imagine what they put
>in a file that size - some of the whales they will keep catching perhaps?

That size includes the compiler, interpreter, dynamic loader, and entire
runtime library for a large, rich programming language with lots of library
routines.  The size isn't too bad, considering.

Jaime
: domain: jds@cs.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds	 	    Systems Design & Analysis Group