[comp.os.minix] About future upgrades...

mwjester@wsuiar.uucp (loki) (09/13/90)

Now that there will finally be a new "canonical" release from P-H, I would
like to toss out a suggestion for future upgrades/patches.

Would it be desirable to distribute future changes as diffs/cdiffs relative
to the P-H release?  I would prefer it that way myself, as I normally keep
distribution disks safely tucked away after making working copies.  Thus
retrieving the original source presents no problems.

I recall that late last year, all the changes were coming hot and heavy,
and I barely had time to make one upgrade before the next showed up on the
net.  If the diffs were relative to P-H's version, one wouldn't have to
sweat making an intermediate version installation successfully before
starting the current release.

Also, we occasionally have our newsfeed down (no, really! :^), and such a
scheme would let one ftp the current upgrade release and be guaranteed that
it would apply successfully (OK, I'm an optimist).

Any comments?  Is this a Good Idea[tm]?  A Real Bad Idea[tm]?

-- Max J.

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/13/90)

In article <316.26ee6ecf@wsuiar.uucp> mwjester@wsuiar.uucp (loki) writes:
>Would it be desirable to distribute future changes as diffs/cdiffs relative
>to the P-H release?

Yes.  By all means.  All fixes should be relative to 1.5.10 ( == PH's 1.5).

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)