[comp.os.minix] ROM routines and Minix

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) (09/17/90)

How does Minix  deal with ROM routines?

I'm thinking of AST's observation in "THE BOOK" that Minix
can't use the ROM BIOS in a pc clone because the routines
can't be interrupted.  Apparent

What happens in the case of MacMinix?  Is the Toolbox unused?

Bob Prohaska
Physics Department
University of California
Irvine, CA  92717
USA

michel%segin4.segin.fr@relay.prime.com (Michel Pollet) (09/17/90)

(Well, please don't flame my first message on the net O:-) )

In message of 17 Sep 90 02:37:45 GMT, rprohask said :
> What happens in the case of MacMinix?  Is the Toolbox unused?

    Mac Toolbox's calls are interruptibles..
    (Have you ever tried BDFInit that made FULL multitasking under MF ?)

    And to run under MF, Macminix HAVE TO use Mac toolbox, to handle
    it's windows for example..

    I think MacMinix will have sooner a non-blocking FS,
    MAC/OS calls could be async by passing a completion routine in
    the parameter block.

    Question : If I order my MacMinix now.. what's the delay ??

Michel 'BusError' Pollet               | "This place is reserved for future
michel%segin4.segin.fr@relay.prime.com | use and is intentionaly left blank"

archetyp@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph R Pickert) (09/17/90)

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:

>I'm thinking of AST's observation in "THE BOOK" that Minix
>can't use the ROM BIOS in a pc clone because the routines
>can't be interrupted.
>What happens in the case of MacMinix?  Is the Toolbox unused?

The toolbox is used, and it essentially has this
same limitation, which is that the ROM can't be
reentered. Any process that goes into the ROM won't
get switched away from.