[comp.os.minix] Minix 1.5 Runs in Protected Mode

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Fuestel) (09/18/90)

I just read the Minix 1.5 announcement which states that Minix 1.5 will run
in protected 286/386 mode and also that Minix 1.5 will run on XTs. I would
like to know how Minix 1.5 is made to run in protected mode.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/18/90)

In article <13331@netcom.UUCP> feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Fuestel) writes:
>I just read the Minix 1.5 announcement which states that Minix 1.5 will run
>in protected 286/386 mode and also that Minix 1.5 will run on XTs. I would
>like to know how Minix 1.5 is made to run in protected mode.

When it boots, it figures out what kind of machine it is running on by
some heuristics, and then either enters protected mode or not, depending
whether it has an 8088 or 80x86.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)