[comp.os.minix] HELP! Beginner's Question

huebner@aerospace.aero.org (09/19/90)

I am trying to set up Minix V1.1 (have upgrades in tar format once 1.1 is
installed) on the IBM.  What I'd like to do is set it up on a laptop that
uses only 3.5" drives.  I remember some messages a short time ago discussing
3.5" disk support, but I can't seem to get the right information from those.
I need to set up this 3.5 system from scratch.  I have another machine
with one 3.5 and one 5.25 to transfer disks, but HOW!?

huebner@aerospace.aero.org

dale@oakhill.UUCP (Dale Stevens) (09/20/90)

In article <85948@aerospace.AERO.ORG> huebner@aerospace.aero.org () writes:

>I am trying to set up Minix V1.1 (have upgrades in tar format once 1.1 is
>installed) on the IBM.  What I'd like to do is set it up on a laptop that
>uses only 3.5" drives.  I remember some messages a short time ago discussing
>3.5" disk support, but I can't seem to get the right information from those.
>I need to set up this 3.5 system from scratch.  I have another machine
>with one 3.5 and one 5.25 to transfer disks, but HOW!?
>
>huebner@aerospace.aero.org
I had the same problem.  They way I did it was to boot the machine that has
both drive types with minix (a: must be the 5.25").  Then when running
minix you can copy the floppies by putting one in each drive and typing:
cp /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1
It'll run for a few minutes coping the floppy.  Do this for the boot, root
and usr floppies and your ready to go on the laptop.  Don't forget to format
the 3.5" floppies from DOS before booting up minix.
I'm running on a Trac 201L 286 Laptop with a 40M hard drive and 1.44M 3.5"
floppy, VGA LCD (mono) screen.  It runs great, but I'm still struggling
to get from 1.3 to 1.5.10.

--
----
Dale Stevens.  Motorola Inc.  cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!sioux!dale