[comp.os.minix] Spreadsheet

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/07/90)

There was a spreadsheet program posted to comp.sources.unix recently.
If there is anyone who is interested in spreadsheets, how about taking a
look at it and seeing if it can be ported to MINIX.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

tgcpwd@rc3.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) (09/09/90)

In article <7473@star.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

>There was a spreadsheet program posted to comp.sources.unix recently.
>If there is anyone who is interested in spreadsheets, how about taking a
>look at it and seeing if it can be ported to MINIX.
>
>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Someone, it may be Fred van Kempen, already ported a spreadsheet to Minix.
As far as I know it was based on a PD source for a small (==Minix)
spreadsheet, made available as a demo for one of the big Dos compilers
(Microsoft, Borland?). It is available from his archive.
It is 39266 bytes large and I named it "mcalc" for some reason. On running it
displays "Autocalc". It runs fine in as far as I have tested it (I am
not a real spreadsheet user)

For more information contact me at baron@wiesje.hobby.nl or Fred at
waltje%minixug.plains.nodak.edu (temporary mailing address)

Met vriendelijke groeten, Wim 'Blue Baron' van Dorst

Blue Baron = Wim van Dorst, Voice (+31) 074-443937, (+31) 02152-42319
(-:       baron@wiesje.hobby.nl           tgcpwd@urc.tue.nl       :-)

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (09/18/90)

In article <7473@star.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

> There was a spreadsheet program posted to comp.sources.unix recently.
> If there is anyone who is interested in spreadsheets, how about taking a
> look at it and seeing if it can be ported to MINIX.

The referenced spreadsheet program, sc6.8, uses double precision
floating point for its calculations. How's the F.P. in the Minix
compiler these days?

The following is extracted from the sc6.8 documentation files:

>  .SS "Built-in Numeric Functions"
>  .\" ----------
>  All of these functions operate on floating point numbers (doubles)
>  and return numeric values.
>  Most of them are standard system functions more fully described in
>  .IR math (3).
>  The trig functions operate with angles in radians.

Scanning the source for "double" produced 129 occurrences.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>

eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) (09/21/90)

In article <7473@star.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

> There was a spreadsheet program posted to comp.sources.unix recently.
> If there is anyone who is interested in spreadsheets, how about taking a
> look at it and seeing if it can be ported to MINIX.

Its predecessor, sc 6.1 compiled OK with gcc on the ST, producing the
following binary size:

  text    data     bss   stack  memory
100424   19940   45524   50000  215888  sc

It won't compile under 1.5.10, even with my mods for gcc.

Firstly, as several people have pointed out, you need extensive floating
point support.

Secondly, the simple-minded curses supplied with 1.5.10 is nowhere near
good enough to support sc.

(The pre-1.5 gcc library has floating point and the BSD curses, which is
freely distributable).

For those still waiting for my library mods for gcc - I will repost at the
weekend; sorry !

Regards
Andy Michael

--
Andy Michael (eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk)      " Software cannot be written to
85 Hawthorne Crescent                        be completely free of errors."