[comp.os.minix] B. Evan's 386 Minix

cracraft@ai.mit.edu (Stuart Cracraft) (09/20/90)

Could someone tell me what are the advantages of running Evan's
386 Minix? Is the code all the kernel, part of it, any utilities?

Finally, what is the exact host and file path for locating
the code for ftp purposes?

Stuart

cechew@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Earl Chew) (09/21/90)

In <10861@life.ai.mit.edu> cracraft@ai.mit.edu (Stuart Cracraft) writes:

>Could someone tell me what are the advantages of running Evan's
>386 Minix? Is the code all the kernel, part of it, any utilities?

Advantages I can think of this morning:

1. 386 runs in 32 bit paged mode -- potential 4~Gb addressable memory
2. hole at 640k-1Mb is wall papered over
3. 64kx64k no longer a limit
4. you have a fighting chance with the GNU stuff

You will need a 32 bit compiler (see below for bcc). The code requires patches
to the include files. fs and mm stay the same. The kernel requires new *.x
files --- C files stay the same.

>Finally, what is the exact host and file path for locating
>the code for ftp purposes?

Try the archive on plains.nodak.edu. Look in the pub/Minix/oz directory
for:
	mx386_1.1.t.Z
	bcc.tar.Z
	bcclib.tar.Z
	bccbin*.tar.Z

Earl
--
Earl Chew, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia 3168
EMAIL: cechew@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au PHONE: 03 5655447 FAX: 03 5655146