[comp.os.minix] Elvis 1.3

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (08/27/90)

Elvis 1.3 compiled on my XT with one edit of the Makefile - to add the -F
option to the compiler!  Mind you, the poor little thing took 65 minutes
in all.  Thanks Steve - a marvellous piece of work.

Will

"If heaven too had passions  | Will Rose
     even heaven would       | UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cw
     grow old."  -  Li Ho.   | ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
                             | INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr
ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

baron@wiesje.hobby.nl (Wim 'Blue Baron' van Dorst) (09/04/90)

Hello *,

Will Rose (cwr@pnet01.cts.com) posted the other day:

> Elvis 1.3 compiled on my XT with one edit of the Makefile - to add the -F
> option to the compiler!  Mind you, the poor little thing took 65 minutes
> in all.  Thanks Steve - a marvellous piece of work.

I did the same edit (adding the -F option).  Then it took Wiesje (my
XT) about 60 to 70 minutes to find out that asld got out of memory!!
So I added the -DNO_SENTENCE option to the Makefile too, and that made
it to compile completely.  But now the resulting binary won't work!!
It gives the message "foobar (new file) 1 line" and the hangs the
system.  The only way out is F9 :-(

I have straightforward Minix PC 1.5.10 on a 640kB 8088 IBM clone at 8
MHz with a Hercules screen running the ACK compiler (cpp, cem, cg, opt,
asld) of the official PH 1.3 release.  Did Will use anything else, like
bcc?  Is there another thing I may have differently?  I have a
continuous struggle to get elvis up-and-running.  The only version that
worked reasonably was a cross-compiled 1.1 by a friend of mine.  But
even that one had lots of peculiar screens moves, though.

I would like to hear from people, other than Will Rose, who have
compiled Elvis 1.3 properly like Will, and especially how they did it
and what hard/software they use.

Met vriendelijke groeten, Wim 'Blue Baron' van Dorst
Blue Baron = Wim van Dorst, Voice (+31) 074-443937, (+31) 02152-42319
(-:       baron@wiesje.hobby.nl           tgcpwd@urc.tue.nl       :-)

cechew@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Earl Chew) (09/06/90)

In <69@wiesje.hobby.nl> baron@wiesje.hobby.nl (Wim 'Blue Baron' van Dorst) writes:

>I did the same edit (adding the -F option).  Then it took Wiesje (my
>XT) about 60 to 70 minutes to find out that asld got out of memory!!
>So I added the -DNO_SENTENCE option to the Makefile too, and that made
>it to compile completely.  But now the resulting binary won't work!!
>It gives the message "foobar (new file) 1 line" and the hangs the
>system.  The only way out is F9 :-(

I managed to compile elvis straight out of the box (so to speak):

16 bit systems:
    Elvis will Enot compile using bcc. To be more precise, Elvis will compile
    but the resulting executable has slightly more than 64k of executable. I
    compiled Elvis with no problems using ACK. Make sure you've chmem'ed all
    the important passes to have 64k (cem, asld in particular). I am not using
    a ram disk so this may affect how you compile Elvis. I used the Minix
    makefile that was distributed with Elvis.

    After you've finished compiling (if you haven't fallen asleep in the
    iterim) --- check the size of the executable with the size(1). Also
    make sure you compiled with -i (separate i&d). Make sure you chmem
    so that Elvis has a fighting chance.

32 bit systems:
    bcc will compile Elvis to just over 64k of text. Runs without problems
    (other than the built-in bugs :-). I used the bsd makefile (with a few
    modifications).

In both versions, cursor motion is still sometimes a little strange.

Earl
--
Earl Chew, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia 3168
EMAIL: cechew@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au PHONE: 03 5655447 FAX: 03 5655146

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) (09/06/90)

I recently posted some bug fixes to Elvis 1.3 to alt.sources.  They
mostly are for MSDOS, but there are a couple of fixes that affect ALL
versions.  If a significant number of people can't get alt.sources, then
I could post my fixes here.  If just a few can't, I can email it to you.

Now to start working on Elvis for Minix.  I'm afraid that I'm behind all
the rest of you guys cuz I was in desperate need of a _real_ editor for
MSDOS.

Thanks Steve, for a great editor.

--
Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6       kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh

waltje%minixug.uucp@plains.nodak.edu (Fred van Kempen) (09/26/90)

Dear All,

Can someone send me the compiled (and, preferrably. working) binary
of the new Elvis 1.3 editor?  I can't get the sucker to compile....

Also: when using Elvis 1.1 on my VISA LINK (== TVI925) terminals, I
get some very weird behaviour with TABbing along the line; it looks
like either Elvis or the terminal has wrong TAB-settings.  Does any-
one know what is going on here???

Fred.
| MINIX User Group Holland  UUCP: waltje@minixug.UUCP           |
| c/o Fred van Kempen,      or: waltje%minixug@plains.nodak.edu |
| Hoefbladhof  27                                               |
| 2215 DV  VOORHOUT         "Love is - what you want it to be.  |
| The Netherlands                               Alannah Myles"  |