[comp.os.minix] Minix with an ESDI disk

nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) (10/04/90)

I seem to recall that I have seen a question or two drift
across the net regarding the use of ESDI disks with Minix.

I thought I would report that I just finished putting a 330 meg
ESDI disk on my 386, and was able to bring up Minix 1.5.10 on it
with no problem.  Everything works fine (using three partions for
Minix, of 32 megs each, with one partition for DOS).

Either bios_wini.c or at_wini.c will drive the disk, but obviously
I prefer at_wini so that I can use protected mode.

--
John W. Nall		| Supercomputation Computations Research Institute
nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu  | Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/05/90)

In article <949@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) writes:
>I thought I would report that I just finished putting a 330 meg
>ESDI disk on my 386, and was able to bring up Minix 1.5.10 on it
>with no problem.

Has anyone managed to get 1.5 running on a PS/2 with an ESDI drive?
As I recall, there is currently no way to run a PS/2 in protected mode
due to the drive problem.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)