[comp.os.minix] Problems with MINIX for the Amiga

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/03/90)

It has been reported that the company that did the reproduction of the
Amiga disks managed to introduce an error on the boot disk :-(

Would everybody who has already received MINIX-Amiga please send me
a short message saying whether any read errors were encountered during
installation or on any disks.  If there were none, please send me a short
note just saying:  No errors on my copy of MINIX Amiga".  I'd like to
see how many copies were munged.  The funny thing is that the verification
copies the disk copier sent back were perfect.  No disk errors had been
reported for the IBM or Atari so far.  It may be that the idea of producing
720K industry standard disks for the Amiga completely freaked them out,
although the boot disk is 880K Amiga standard.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

JAGBDED1%PANAM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (10/05/90)

AST writes:
>It has been reported that the company that did the reproduction of the
>Amiga disks managed to introduce an error on the boot disk :-(

   I have firsthand experience with this.  Not only was track 13 on the boot
disk totally fried, disks 3-4 had holes in them like swiss cheese. When I
finally managed to get the think to boot (on my stock Amiga 2000HD), I was
presented with this when minix asked for the /usr disk (#3):

Unrecoverable disk error on device 2/8, block 1
mount: /dev/dd0 is not a valid file system
/usr/adm/wtmp: cannot create
/usr/bin/printroot: not found
/usr/bin/readclock: not found
/usr/bin/date: not found
/usr/bin/stty: not found

Welcome to MINIX.   [ I wish :( ]

    I simply cannot BELIEVE this one. After five weeks of pulling teeth,
trying to get this thing from Prentice-Hall (they changed the shipping date
three times), they have the nerve to send me bad copies.  Now I understand
why my CS professor laughed when I told him I had ordered direct from P-H.
What really bugs me is that P-W wants my copy back before they will ship me
out a new copy.
   I have a simple request for anyone out there who has Amiga minix running:
is there any way someone could send me an image of disk 3 (/usr). The package
is mostly braindead without it. I think I can (maybe) rebuild the other stuff.
I'm sorry for sounding so  p.o.'d, but I've been growing more and more
frustrated for the past 6 hours working on the problem.  I'd really
appreciate any help or info. Thanks.

Joe "AmigaMan" Gonalez
JAGBDED@PANAM
jagbded%panam.bitnet@ricevm1.rice/edu
 Why waste time on boring computers?  Only Amiga Makes It Possible