[comp.os.minix] ESDI disk with Minix

nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) (10/05/90)

>  From wjb@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu Thu Oct  4 12:50:41 1990
>  To: nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu
>  Subject: Re: Minix with an ESDI disk
>  Date: Thu, 04 Oct 90 12:55:20 EDT
>
>  John,
>
>  	That is VERY interesting.  I had been told that ESDI, MFM, and RLL
>  controllers were basically the same, but wanted confirmation of that.
>  What controller/disk did you use and did you have to make ANY changes to
>  Minix at all?  You might consider posting the response to this message
>  as I expect others may be interested as well.  Now, I may be able to
>  get rid of my 65 & 120 Megabyte RLL drives and get some REAL storage capacity.
>
>  				Bill Bogstad

(As requested, this is posted rather than just replied to...)

Bill:
	The controller is a WD1007V.  I'm not absolutely sure who manufactures
the disk itself (I'm at work, and it is at home), but the documentation on the
controller states that it "interfaces two ESDI-compatible hard disk drives to
a PC-AT system processor", so I guess it is pretty standard.

	No, I did not have to make any changes to Minix at all.  I might add
that my previous disk was an RLL, and 1.5.10 also ran on that with no changes.

	Since the first note, however, I *have* experienced one annoying problem.
Dosread no longer works with the harddisk!  It says "cluster size too big" and
"Can't handle disk".  Since I can transfer all my files using either the 1.2
meg floppy or the 1.44 meg floppy, this is not really a problem, but just a minor
irration.  I'll have to look at dosread.c later and see what is going on.
--
John W. Nall		| Supercomputation Computations Research Institute
nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu  | Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306

brucee@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Bruce Evans) (10/07/90)

In article <959@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) writes:
>	The controller is a WD1007V.  I'm not absolutely sure who manufactures

I just got a system with a WD1007V-SE1 ESDI controller. It works. I
configured it for a 150M drive with 35 sectors/track and 1223 cylinders. I'm
using the patch to at_wini.c posted by ast. This probably doesn't matter.

Performance under Minix is mediocre for reading (500K/sec for /dev/hd0 with
33MHz 386) and poor for writing (50K/sec). I have changed at_wini.c to work
with raw devices and get 900K/sec for both reading and writing provided the
block size is one cylinder. The raw disk is useless for normal use so more
buffering will be required in the driver to improve the writing speed. First
I will try the do_hvrdwt routine in 1.5.10-patch2-ST.

>Dosread no longer works with the harddisk!  It says "cluster size too big" and
>"Can't handle disk".  Since I can transfer all my files using either the 1.2

That's probably because you gave too much space to DOS :-) and got a DOS4
partition. These have extra fields in the parameters block that dosread
does not know about. Two independent fixes have already been posted.
--
Bruce Evans  (evans@syd.dit.csiro.au)