[comp.os.minix] questions: pc 1.5 stty, 1.2M copy, /dev/dosC

traw@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (10/08/90)

1) how do I set up a serial port to allow a login from a terminal?

2) when trying to read drive C: with dosread, I get the error
   "cannot open /dev/dosC".  I have a link to /dev/dosC as /dev/hd1.

3) I have not yet found a program that will allow me to copy 1.2M
   disks.  I need to make backups of the minix masters.  Copy II PC
   fails (only does 360k disks), and all the other DOS-based copiers
   will not copy sector by sector; they recognize DOS file systems only.

Help.  Thanks.

-drew

r3jjs@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Jeremy J Starcher) (10/08/90)

In article <30703@netnews.upenn.edu> traw@grad1.cis.upenn.edu writes:

>3) I have not yet found a program that will allow me to copy 1.2M
>   disks.  I need to make backups of the minix masters.  Copy II PC
>   fails (only does 360k disks), and all the other DOS-based copiers
>   will not copy sector by sector; they recognize DOS file systems only.
>
>Help.  Thanks.
>
>-drew

I have a program for the IBM version that will copy MINIX disks.  Written
in MIX C, the program comes out to about 30K of .exe file.  When (if?) I
find out how to post it, anyone is welcome to it.

I wrote it for a friend so we could swap bootable disks over the modem.

Any disk the BIOS can read, so can this program.  The default types are
360K, 1.2M, 720K, 1.44M

TEMARI%ECAMV1.dnet.ge.com@vm1.nodak.edu (10/08/90)

>  1) how do I set up a serial port to allow a login from a terminal?

Drew, you need to edit the /etc/ttys file which contains a line for each
tty device.  Each line contains 3 bytes. The first byte needs to be 1 or
2 to enable the init process to create a login on the device.  The second
byte is the baud rate(init.c will tell you what letter to use).  The third
byte is the tty number.
For more information on this look at /usr/src/tools/init.c

>  2) when trying to read drive C: with dosread, I get the error
>     "cannot open /dev/dosC".  I have a link to /dev/dosC as /dev/hd1.

If you did a ln /dev/hd1 /dev/dosC and your first partition contains
a dos file systems then you may not have access to /dev/dosC.  Check
and make sure you have access to /dev/dosC.  Should be -rw-rw-rw-
for access for anyone.

>  3) I have not yet found a program that will allow me to copy 1.2M
>     disks.  I need to make backups of the minix masters.  Copy II PC
>     fails (only does 360k disks), and all the other DOS-based copiers
>     will not copy sector by sector; they recognize DOS file systems only.

You can duplicate disks in minix if you have either two 1.2M floppies or
are running minix from a harddrive with at least 1.2M free.

two 1.2M floppy drives(source in A: destination in B:)
      dd if=/dev/at0 of=/dev/at1 bs=7680

minix with a harddrive:
      dd if=/dev/at0 of=disk bs=7680
      dd if=disk of=/dev/at0 bs=7680