[comp.os.minix] SC, curses and FP

adrie@philica.ica.philips.nl (Adrie Koolen) (09/21/90)

I've been busy porting the recently posted (comp.sources.unix) SC
Spreadsheet Calculator to Minix. The port is not yet finished and I'm
not sure if I'm ever going to finish it as I only want to see whether
it is possible to port it to SparcStation Minix.

A few problems showed up. First, SC uses floating point. Minix-SPARC
supports floating point on the C level. That means, that you can add,
subtract, multiply and divide floats and doubles. I can even convert
them to and from integers and print them. Aside from the sin() and cos(),
Minix does not provide other FP functions, so I've commented out those
special spreadsheet functions, that use them.

SC uses curses routines for in/output to the terminal. I used the
recently posted curses functions from Bjorn Larsson (posted by Don Cope).
Those functions are developed on a PC and that shows! I had to modify
quite some functions, which handle screen attributes and ioctl()'s.

Currently, SC works under Minix-SPARC (without @exp(), @floor(), etc).
The curses functions are still buggy, so they should be polished up.
It's quite a nice spreadsheet, not the extensive features of 123 or
Excel, but still very usable under a multitasking OS like Minix!

Adrie Koolen (adrie@ica.philips.nl)
Philips Innovation Centre Aachen

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (09/25/90)

I have a copy of the BSD curses source code.  It has the following notice at
the top

/*
 * Copyright (c) 1981 Regents of the University of California.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
 * provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
 * duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation,
 * advertising materials, and other materials related to such
 * distribution and use acknowledge that the software was developed
 * by the University of California, Berkeley.  The name of the
 * University may not be used to endorse or promote products derived
 * from this software without specific prior written permission.
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 */

Given this notice would anyone like to port this to Minix?

702WFG%SCRVMSYS.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (bill gunshannon) (09/26/90)

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to take on anything like that now.
However, I would be curious to see it.  Could you perhaps tell me where
in the BSD distribution that source was??  Then when I have the time, I
could look it up on UUNET.

bill

                                          bill gunshannon
                                       702WFG@SCRVMSYS.BITNET

nwosuck@aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com (Kingsley Nwosu) (10/10/90)

In article <jft88lakt@tmsoft.uucp>, mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) writes:
> I have a copy of the BSD curses source code.  It has the following notice at
> the top
.. .....
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
>  * provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
>  * duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation,
>
> Given this notice would anyone like to port this to Minix?

-- Yes, I would!
-- Port the code but keep the good faith.

Kingsley Nwosu			   ...uunet!ibmps2!aix!nwosuck
IBM AIX  Dev., Dept. 83HA/572,  |
Neighborhood Rd, Kingston,      |"Advice to those about to get married: Don't!"
NY 12401.			|