[comp.os.minix] MINIX on a Sun 3/80

lennox@minilove.diag.stratus.com (Craig Scott Lennox) (10/10/90)

Hello MINIX people!

Is there anyone out there who has managed to make MINIX run on a Sun
3/80?  I would like to attempt this, and I was wondering how difficult
this task would be, and if any had been there before me from whom I
might benefit.

Since MINIX runs on SPARCstations, I assume that it would be at least
possible!

--
|    flame me at: lennox@minilove.diag.stratus.com, (Craig Scott Lennox)    |
|"Oh boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a REALLY BIG ram disk!" |

adrie@philica.ica.philips.nl (Adrie Koolen) (10/10/90)

In article <LENNOX.90Oct9160730@minilove.diag.stratus.com> lennox@minilove.diag.stratus.com (Craig Scott Lennox) writes:
>Is there anyone out there who has managed to make MINIX run on a Sun
>3/80?  I would like to attempt this, and I was wondering how difficult
>this task would be, and if any had been there before me from whom I
>might benefit.
>
>Since MINIX runs on SPARCstations, I assume that it would be at least
>possible!

I have not yet heard of a port of Minix to the Sun 3/80.

I guess, that a port of Minix to the Sun 3/80 would be a merge of Minix
for the SparcStation and a 68000 version of Minix (ST). The Sun 3/80
contains a Motorola 68030, so you could borrow a lot from Minix-ST, but
the boot mechanism and much of the device controllers will be the same
as in the SparcStation 1.

To perform such a port, you'll have to be a (software, but certainly a
hardware) expert and have information on the hardware of a Sun 3/80.
Also, you'll have to cross-develop Minix on the 3/80 and choose an
appropriate C-compiler.

Adrie Koolen (adrie@ica.philips.nl)
Philips Innovation Centre Aachen

lennox@minilove.diag.stratus.com (Craig Scott Lennox) (10/11/90)

In article <685@philica.ica.philips.nl> adrie@philica.ica.philips.nl (Adrie Koolen) writes:

   I guess, that a port of Minix to the Sun 3/80 would be a merge of Minix
   for the SparcStation and a 68000 version of Minix (ST). The Sun 3/80
   contains a Motorola 68030, so you could borrow a lot from Minix-ST, but
   the boot mechanism and much of the device controllers will be the same
   as in the SparcStation 1.

Makes sense.  Where can a get a copy of the (relevant files of the)
Sparc MINIX port?

I think I can cover the software end of things all right, but
interfacing to the hardware will be a trick since I haven't got much
in the way of specs beyond the "Writing Device Drivers" manual.  Any
advice on where to get more detailed info would be appreciated.