[comp.os.minix] Amiga Minix Bug Report

JAGBDED1%PANAM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (10/11/90)

raymond@cs.vu.ln (Raymond Michiels) writes:
>Since we have debugged MINIX before we shipped it to P-H we are
>wondering what might cause the abovementioned problems. To get a better
>idea of the situation I would like to have a small reports on people's
>experiences with AmigaMINIX: good and bad, from America and Europe,
>on A500's, and A2000's, etc, etc. When we know what is going on, you'll
>be the first to know.

   Ok, here's my setup: Amiga 2000HD rev 6.2 motherboard w/1 Meg Fat Agnus,
A2091 w/2 Megs, Quantum Pro 40S, Segate 277N, two internal floppy drives
(df0: is a chinon and df1: is a mitsumi).  Since this system is only 7 months
old, I think I can say the hardware is not at fault. I purchased it in
Austin, Texas.
   When I run minix, it has an unstable feel to it.  For example, an ls -l
command will fail unless I'm trying to look at the current directory.
Kermit loads into screen memory (I see neat binary patters on the screen),
then fails.  I can't use df1:, it makes an enourmous amount of racket ( and
I mean racket! ) and then I get the infamous "invalid file system" error on
disks that work in df0:.  Then, of course, there's the floppy driver problem.
This is about as far as I've been able to test it.  Please let me know if
there are any specifc tests you would like me to try. BTW there is no
visible difference when I log in as root instead of ast or when I remove
my A2091. On a lighter note, I can get minix to use the pearl.font with no
problems.

>I have tried AmigaMINIX at several other places and haven't found any
>of the described bugs, so I really am curious as to what is happening.
>
>       -Raymond.

   I have tried minix on my 2000HD, a 500, a 2500/30 (in 68000 mode), and
a 1000, and found that the problems persist as I have described them :( .

Joe "AmigaMan" Gonzalez
JAGBDED1@PANAM
jagbded1%panam.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu
 Amiga: going for the one!