[comp.os.minix] MacMinix and protected mode

athame@athena.mit.edu (Dirk Karis) (10/12/90)

I just saw the announcement of MacMinix in the comp.sys.mac newsgroup
and was very interested;  I've been looking for a Unix for less money
than A/UX ($1000) for awhile.  But the listing of features seems to
imply that MacMinix doesn't take advantage of the 68030's protected
mode.  Is this true?  Protected mode is a big unix feature that I find lacking
from the macintosh operating system.

Dirk Karis
athame@athena.mit.edu

archetyp@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph R Pickert) (10/12/90)

athame@athena.mit.edu (Dirk Karis) writes:

>I just saw the announcement of MacMinix in the comp.sys.mac newsgroup
>and was very interested;  I've been looking for a Unix for less money
>than A/UX ($1000) for awhile.  But the listing of features seems to
>imply that MacMinix doesn't take advantage of the 68030's protected
>mode.  Is this true?  Protected mode is a big unix feature that I find lacking
>from the macintosh operating system.

No it does not use protected mode.