[net.unix-wizards] '\n'

cosell@Bbn-Unix@sri-unix (09/08/82)

From: Bernie Cosell <cosell@Bbn-Unix>
Date:  5 Sep 1982  3:23:32 EDT (Sunday)
In a recent revision of the ASCII standard (where `recent' probably
means between five and ten years ago), `Newline' is a defined
alternate meaning for'\12'.  I haven't seen the real spec in
a long time now, but as I recall they had the good sense to take
all of the `standard' usages of various control chars and make
them alternate meanings for the chars.  (for example, I believe that
the flow control functions of ^s and ^Q are now explicit).

In some sense, this means that the VT100 folk got it wrong.
The key on the vt100 that was clearly intended
to carry the `newline' function sends 015 instead of 012.  As I understand
the spec you have two choices for `newline': 015-012 or just 012.
DEC (and a lot of others, of course) mostly `made up' the convention
of using 015 for newline.  It hardly has a persuasive argument in
favor of it beyond the largeness of the key on many terminals.

   [historical note: I believe that this `convention' came into being
    in the days of halfduplex model 33's: if you had the user use
    CR for the newline function, the system had merely to echo a LF
    and everything was fine.  If you had the user use LF for newline,
    then the system had to echo CR RUBOUT, since it took a char of
    padding to do a CR, normally nmasked by the LF character (didn't you
    ever wonder why the sequence is CR-LF and not vice-versa?).  I've
    fooled with such a scheme and I can report that the extra char
    is really a pain it can really upset you rhythm, dsuch as it can be on a
    110 baud, noisy, mechanical kludge.]

    /Bernie

cak@Purdue@sri-unix (09/10/82)

From: Chris Kent <cak@Purdue>
Date: 8 Sep 1982 12:05:45-EST
Well, DEC isn't alone. ADDS also puts a 'newline' key on their
terminals that sends a \015; it sits right next to the 'line feed'
key, which sends a \012.  Perhaps this is why so many of my users
have been confused when expected to type a 'newline' to get
nroff to continue output, and get nothing when they hit that
key (since -nl is set on the output device...)

chris

ecn-pa:bruner (09/11/82)

There are terminals for which "newline" is neither a 012 or a 015.
Ever used a Superbee?  I'm stuck with a couple of these kludgey
monsters (I could write pages and pages about the problems they
have, and how no two of them seem to use the same cursor control
sequences, etc.), and they have a nice large NEWLINE key which
generates not CR or LF, but US (037).  This means the tty driver
and all programs that use raw mode (like "getty") must contain
special-case code to convert 037 to 012.

One of these days I'm going to get an axe and put them out of
my misery.

--John Bruner
  Purdue/EE