[comp.os.minix] 32MB/64MB partitions

adrie@philica.ica.philips.nl (Adrie Koolen) (10/05/90)

Of course, Minix users who want to do real (hobby) work with Minix,
use a hard disk to re-compile the OS or to develop programs. I've
seen hints, that people using the PC version of Minix 1.5 use hard
disk partitions of at most 32MB. On my SparcStation, I have a Minix
partition of 64MB. Currently, almost 60MB are used and I've not yet
encountered any problems. Is there any chance, that I still get
problems? Is it because I use a 32-bit Minix, that I can use a
64MB partition or can it be done on a PC as well (in 16-bit mode)?

Adrie Koolen (adrie@ica.philips.nl)
Philips Innovation Centre Aachen

brucee@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Bruce Evans) (10/12/90)

In article <682@philica.ica.philips.nl> adrie@.ica.philips.nl () writes:
>seen hints, that people using the PC version of Minix 1.5 use hard
>disk partitions of at most 32MB. On my SparcStation, I have a Minix
>partition of 64MB. Currently, almost 60MB are used and I've not yet
>encountered any problems. Is there any chance, that I still get
>problems? Is it because I use a 32-bit Minix, that I can use a
>64MB partition or can it be done on a PC as well (in 16-bit mode)?

I've been using a 64MB partition under Minix 1.4++ and 1.5 for over a year
in both 16-bit and 32-bit mode on a 386. It has filled up many times :-).
64MB partitions worked in the 1.3 FS but not in the 1.3 mkfs, fsck or df.
There were various inbuilt limits and overflow/sign extension problems.
I got them working first for 16-bit mode (easy), then for 32-bit mode
(harder). Same for de. I forgot about badblocks and readfs and don't know
if they work with blocks above 32K.

I have been looking at these commands again in preparation for 32-bit
block numbers for v2.0 and have noticed some old bugs in mkfs that stop
it from populating new file systems with more than about 8MB of files.
In some places it converts a bitmap_number to bitmap_block = 0 + base
instead of bitmap_block = bitmap_number / BITS_IN_A_BLOCK + base. This
explains old bug reports that mkfs did not work above 8MB, while almost
ecveryone had no trouble up to 31MB.
--
Bruce Evans  (evans@syd.dit.csiro.au)

abaum@guug.de (10/14/90)