[comp.os.minix] Minix 1.5 Patches for Conner HD???

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) (10/17/90)

I understand that patches exist for Minix version 1.5 to make it
work with Conner hard drives. Can someone email them to me please? Thanks.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631

32BHATY%CMUVM@pucc.princeton.edu (Ken Schmitt) (10/17/90)

David Feustel,
     Regarding your message on conner hard drives and Minix 1.5.  I am running
a Conner 80 meg with no problems.

srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) (10/18/90)

In article <33767@nigel.ee.udel.edu> 32BHATY%CMUVM@pucc.princeton.edu (Ken Schmitt) writes:

> David Feustel,
>      Regarding your message on conner hard drives and Minix 1.5.  I am running
> a Conner 80 meg with no problems.

I'm not sure who I heard from but when I inquired about a Conner 200mb
I'm running with under DOS now.  I got a response from someone with
the exact same configuration down to the motherboard and they were
having no problems with it under straight Minix 1.5 and Bruce's 386
patches...
--

				Scott R. Myers

Snail:	26 Stiles Street			Phone:(201)352-4162
        Apartment 18
	Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Arpa:	srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu			Uucp: ..!dimacs!srm

		"... No matter where you go, there you are ..."

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) (10/18/90)

My Conner drive runs fine with the bios version of PH Minix and I have
installed Minix on partitions 3 and 4. I can mount and use both.
However, when I boot the AT version of minix, it does not read the
date from the real-time clock and the very first (implicit) reference to
the hard disk in any context kills the system. I have verified that the
wini init routine gets the correct hard disk parameters (16 heads, 38
sectors per track), but I haven't a clue at this moment as to what's
killing the system. I have received mail indicating that some patches
were needed to make Minix work with Conner drives, but I haven't been
able to find them. Any help in getting my AT version to work would be
greatly appreciated.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) (10/19/90)

Note that, after booting the at version of Minix 1.5 into protected
mode and logging in, the attempt to execute the command
	dd if=/dev/hd0 count=200 of=/dev/null
hangs the system(dead console) with all time accruing to idle task and
task winchester apparently waiting for a receive(HARDWARE to return.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) (10/19/90)

Also, while running off the hard disk with the bios version, in the
middle of a vi session I've several times gotten the message
	Alarm clock
		    $
written onto the screen at the vi cursor. The console is then dead.
An attempt to vi the same file after rebooting results in the message that
the file is busy. Has anyone else seen this? How can I make the file
be unbusy? Thanks.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631

cracraft@ai.mit.edu (10/19/90)

   Date:         Wed, 17 Oct 90 02:47:47 GMT
   Sender: INFO-MINIX-ERRORS%PLAINS.NODAK.EDU@vm1.nodak.edu
   Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was info-minix-request@UDEL.EDU
   From: David Feustel <feustel%NETCOM.UUCP@vm1.nodak.edu>
   Comments: To: info-minix@udel.edu

   I understand that patches exist for Minix version 1.5 to make it
   work with Conner hard drives. Can someone email them to me please? Thanks.
   --
   David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631

Minix 1.5 worked perfectly with my Conner HD. No patches were required.

Stuart