[comp.os.minix] AST Bigger name than I thought

erich@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Horst) (10/19/90)

I have heard of Ameoba but didn't know it was anything
big until I saw numerous quotes from AST and a description of
distributed OS in the New York Times 2 days ago.  It is also nice to
know that through the wonders of networks you can get in touch with
expert people like AST.  It may not have been the first time that
he was interviewed for the Times but I was just surprised to see his
name.  It's not often you discover that people you get mail from
every day are actually FAMOUS.

ech

KPURCELL@liverpool.ac.uk (Kevin Purcell) (10/21/90)

On Thu, 18 Oct 90 21:03:41 GMT Eric Horst (erich@EDU.WASHINGTON.U.MILTON) said:

>I have heard of Ameoba but didn't know it was anything
>big until I saw numerous quotes from AST and a description of
>distributed OS in the New York Times 2 days ago....

Would somebody care to say more about this (e.g. quote the article). Not all
of us get the NYT :-) (Is this relevant to minix I ask myself).

Kevin

Kevin G. Purcell       | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science,       |
Liverpool University   | Programming the Macintosh is easy if you understand
Liverpool L69 3BX      | how the Mac works and hard if you don't. -- Dan Allen

mitchell (Bill Mitchell) (10/21/90)

>Would somebody care to say more about this (e.g. quote the article). Not all
>of us get the NYT :-) (Is this relevant to minix I ask myself).

For a better article, see IEEE Computer, May 1990, Page 44.

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (10/21/90)

[In article <34081@nigel.ee.udel.edu>,
     KPURCELL@liverpool.ac.uk (Kevin Purcell) writes ... ]

> On Thu, 18 Oct 90 21:03:41 GMT Eric Horst (erich@EDU.WASHINGTON.U.MILTON) said:
>
>>I have heard of Ameoba but didn't know it was anything
>>big until I saw numerous quotes from AST and a description of
>>distributed OS in the New York Times 2 days ago....
>
> Would somebody care to say more about this (e.g. quote the article). Not all
> of us get the NYT :-) (Is this relevant to minix I ask myself).

I don't get the NYT either, but we get the news service at work (I'm an
editor). AST wasn't the focus, but he was one of the more eloquent sources
quoted in the story. It was a layman's introduction to the concept of
networked multiprocessing, and Amoeba was one of the examples.

I can't quote it -- I don't save everything I read, or I'd drown in it --
but I recall that it was a very nicely written story on a potentially
daunting subject. Multiprocessing is not the sort of thing that most
people want to read about while going to work on the subway, but this
article made it interesting.

I think John Markoff wrote it. Judging from his reporting in the last year
or so, I get the impression that he's on the net, but I have no idea what
his address might be.
 --
 Steve Yelvington up at the lake in Minnesota
 The easy way: steve@thelake.mn.org

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) (10/22/90)

I also saw the NYT article about Amoeba and AST. My interest in Amoeba
is tempered by the fact that Amoeba may take up so much of Andy's time
that Minix will not continue to develop.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct20.212318.438@mdivax1.uucp> mdivax1!bb29c!mitchell (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>For a better article, see IEEE Computer, May 1990, Page 44.

In Dec. 1990 there will be another article on Amoeba, this time in CACM.
In this one, we expose all our dirty laundry and tell what we did wrong
and what we did right, give comparisons with some other systems, etc.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

In article <A3191543124@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>I think John Markoff wrote it. Judging from his reporting in the last year
>or so, I get the impression that he's on the net, but I have no idea what
>his address might be.

Yes, he is on the net.  I have communicated with him both orally and
digitally.  He seems to know his stuff.  I don't know if he'd appreciate
having me give his address to 28,000 people, so I won't.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

In article <15305@netcom.UUCP> feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) writes:
>I also saw the NYT article about Amoeba and AST. My interest in Amoeba
>is tempered by the fact that Amoeba may take up so much of Andy's time
>that Minix will not continue to develop.

There was Amoeba long before there was MINIX, and probably there will be
Amoeba long after MINIX has been forgotten.  We have been working on
Amoeba since 1981 or so, although the quantity and quality of the people
working on it has varied as a function of time.  It is thought that a
beta release should be ready by the end of this year.  I'll post something
when the time comes.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)