[comp.os.minix] Moving bootblok.

mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu (10/18/90)

	I have a quick question. I am trying to make more room for a server that
I am adding to my PC Minix1.5 and am having trouble with overwriting my bootblok
while it is loading in Minix. What is the furthest up in memory that it can
go. I have gotten it to mov up to 0x9700 but any higher and after db runs I
don't get the menu, but just the line of text from the bootstrap, and then it
dies. Is this the upper limit of bootblok, or should I be able to move it
to 0x9FA0 (originally it's at 0x8FA0).

		mike.irons%lynx@helios.northeastern.edu

evans@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (Bruce.Evans) (10/23/90)

In article <33867@nigel.ee.udel.edu> mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu writes:
>I am adding to my PC Minix1.5 and am having trouble with overwriting my bootblok
>while it is loading in Minix. What is the furthest up in memory that it can
>go. I have gotten it to mov up to 0x9700 but any higher and after db runs I
>don't get the menu, but just the line of text from the bootstrap, and then it
>dies. Is this the upper limit of bootblok, or should I be able to move it
>to 0x9FA0 (originally it's at 0x8FA0).

db moves itself to about 0x9780 (in units of hardware-click). bootblok takes
0x60. So limit is about 0x9720. You could only put it at 0x9FA0 in a standard
Minix setup where db is not loaded.

The right way to determine the memory size is to make a BIOS call like the
kernel. There is no right way to change the memory size :(. db does it by
changing the BIOS variable at 0x40:0x413. bootblok could do the same, but
it's best that it doesn't since 0x600 bytes would be wasted. bootblok
should be looking at the memory size to see how high it can load itself.
Then minor adjustments to bootblok+db would be required to stop db clobbering
bootblok.
--
Bruce Evans		evans@syd.dit.csiro.au