[comp.os.minix] MacMINIX question

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (02/09/90)

HI,
I do not yet have minix (but I will when the mac version comes out
RSN), but I have a couple of questions:

1) will I be able to use minix filters (cat/more/sort) with mac files?
2) does minix have Vmemory?  else, what is the minix address space?
3) Have large unix programs been ported to minix? someone last week
mentioned GNU C.
4) Is minix posix compatable?  is it drifting/evolving that direction?

Thanks,

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"X is just raster-op on wheels" - Bill Joy, January 1987

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) (10/03/90)

I suppose that I'm getting impatient, but is MacMinix available yet? And what is
it like? I have some questions for someone (anyone!) who has got it ...

1) Does MacMinix use Mac windows (using the Mac Toolbox) or does it grab the
   entire screen (like MacPaint)?
   Are there any plans for X-Windows?

2) Previous news mentions that MacMinix can support three users.
   I guess that this means one user on the Mac itself and two on terminals
   connected to the serial ports (ie: printer and modem ports).

   But what about multiple users in different windows on the Mac's screen?

   Having a "super-user" window and an "ordinary-user" window would be extremely
   useful, wouldn't it.

3) Is MacMinix fast? Does lots of memory speed it up, or allow more users, or
   what?

4) Is more MacMinix information available, perhaps a general discussion paper by
   the implementors, or something?

Like I said, I am getting impatient ... Sorry ...

Paul Wood        | UUCP Mail:  paul@ukpoit.co.uk   | iT: The Information
iT (Unix Group)  | Bang-Style: ...!ukc!ukpoit!paul |     Technology Business
Barker Lane      | Voice:      +44 246 214256      |     of the UK Post 0ffice
Chesterfield     | FAX:        +44 246 214353      |
England  S40 1DY | Postline:   5403 4256           | Who me? I didn't say that!

steven@m2xenix.psg.com (Steven Furber) (10/24/90)

>from: steven@m2xenix.psg.com (Steven Furber)

Several questions/notes about MacMINIX

The installation manual does not seem to really spell out how the
/etc/setup_root program works.  I was able to eventually create the root
file system by doing something like the following:

maccreate 1024 slave:file         # create the Macintosh file
hdopen slave:file /dev/hd1        # open up the Macintosh file
mkfs /dev/hd1 1024                # make the file system
/etc/setup_root /dev/hd1 0 1024 0 0 0

Now the above line was the one that I had to change.  In the book the
format is:
	/etc/setup_root filename ramdisk hd1 hd2 hd3 hd4
When I tried using slave:file instead of /dev/hd1 for the filename, I
found that the script would not mount the file systems.

I also noted that ps is having a complaint about not being able to read
the kernel list.  I haven't looked into this very far yet, but I'm
surprized that the binary doesn't work.  I tried recompiling and kept
running into problems.

Just curious, is there any documentation on setting up remote logins?

This may not be as fast as the RS/6000 I've been getting used to, but it
at least has a good chance of getting fixed.

archetyp@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph R Pickert) (10/26/90)

steven@m2xenix.psg.com (Steven Furber) writes:

>>from: steven@m2xenix.psg.com (Steven Furber)

>Several questions/notes about MacMINIX

>The installation manual does not seem to really spell out how the
>/etc/setup_root program works.  I was able to eventually create the root
>file system by doing something like the following:
>maccreate 1024 slave:file         # create the Macintosh file
>hdopen slave:file /dev/hd1        # open up the Macintosh file
>mkfs /dev/hd1 1024                # make the file system
>/etc/setup_root /dev/hd1 0 1024 0 0 0
>Now the above line was the one that I had to change.  In the book the
>format is:
>	/etc/setup_root filename ramdisk hd1 hd2 hd3 hd4
>When I tried using slave:file instead of /dev/hd1 for the filename, I
>found that the script would not mount the file systems.

It looks like the wrong setup_root(e.g., the IBM one) script got into the
distribution.  I will post the correct one as soon as I can get to it.

Joe Pickert

deo@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steven Furber) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct26.141136.16879@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> archetyp@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Joseph R Pickert) writes:

>It looks like the wrong setup_root(e.g., the IBM one) script got into the
>distribution.  I will post the correct one as soon as I can get to it.

Sounds great.  Would it also be possible to get some information on what it
takes to get the serial port (modem, that is) working?  Also, lpr prints a
form-feed/page-eject after each page.