[comp.os.minix] Problem with Shoelace and 2 hard disks in system

danson@udel.edu (Douglas Anson) (10/29/90)

I have tried to install shoelace on my 1.5.10 system (286 with a 20meg hard
disk --- I am using the SECOND hard disk).  All the sources compiled fine
but when I try to laceup a floppy to 'practice' with winiboot, none of
the listed partitions will boot the system.  I have made sure that my
hard drive has all the necessary files in their directories (and that this
is reflected in /etc/config).

Will shoelace boot a minix system in which the system resides on the
SECOND hard disk (i.e. /dev/hd6) of my machine?

It should be noted that I am using the hard disk as the root dev.

Thanks!
doug anson
danson@dewey.udel.edu
Univ. of Del.

cechew@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Earl Chew) (10/29/90)

In <34805@nigel.ee.udel.edu> danson@udel.edu (Douglas Anson) writes:

>I have tried to install shoelace on my 1.5.10 system (286 with a 20meg hard
>disk --- I am using the SECOND hard disk).  All the sources compiled fine
>but when I try to laceup a floppy to 'practice' with winiboot, none of
>the listed partitions will boot the system.  I have made sure that my
>hard drive has all the necessary files in their directories (and that this
>is reflected in /etc/config).

>Will shoelace boot a minix system in which the system resides on the
>SECOND hard disk (i.e. /dev/hd6) of my machine?

>It should be noted that I am using the hard disk as the root dev.

It should be possible to boot the second hard disk using shoelace (I haven't
actually tried since I can't get my hands on such a beast).

The key getting the practice floppy to boot is to boot the practice floppy on
your *second* floppy drive.

If you have a look at the code in winiboot --- you will find the lines:

	orb	dl,#HARD_DISK		| boot hard disk
	movb	diskcode,dl		| code for this hard disk

The key to understanding this is that dl contains the BIOS drive code for the
floppy (usually 0x00 for the first floppy drive and 0x01 for the second). By
turning on the HARD_DISK bit this becomes either 0x80 or 0x81, depending on
whether you booted the first or second floppy drive).

Thus to boot the *second* hard disk, you will have to put the practice floppy
in the second floppy drive.

This is also documented in the readme file:

Now boot the floppy. You should see the WiniBoot sign on and get a report of
the partitions available. Furthermore, WiniBoot should boot the *hard disk*
partitions according to the numbers you type in to the prompt. Note that if
you boot the floppy in drive 0, you will boot hard disk drive 0, floppy
drive 1 for hard disk drive 1, etc.

Earl
--
Earl Chew, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia 3168
EMAIL: cechew@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au PHONE: 03 5655447 FAX: 03 5655146