[comp.os.minix] Conner IDE Disk Problem Solved

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) (10/30/90)

I discovered the cause of the problem trying to access the IDE drive
in the protected version of Minix - it was the AHA1542a SCSI
controller. Removing the SCSI controller resulted in successful access
of the Conner IDE drive by fdisk.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631

tgcpwd@rw7.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) (10/30/90)

In article <15803@netcom.UUCP> feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) writes:
>I discovered the cause of the problem trying to access the IDE drive
>in the protected version of Minix - it was the AHA1542a SCSI
>controller. Removing the SCSI controller resulted in successful access
>of the Conner IDE drive by fdisk.

Does this mean that you have a IDE disk up and running on Minix?
Which disk types _can_ Minix handle ? I know about the standard MFM
disks, and apparently many people use RLL disks without problems.
John Nall recently reported to be able to manage an ESDI disk.
Fred van Kempen posted an SCSI driver the other day, and other people
seem to be working on SCSI drivers (have them running?).

Could some knowledgeable person on disktypes (You?) please give a small
summary of what is and what isn't runnable yet. This may be something
for the Compatibility List too (are you reading, Craig?).

Met vriendelijke groeten, Wim 'Blue Baron' van Dorst
Blue Baron = Wim van Dorst, Voice (+31) 074-443937, (+31) 02152-42319
(-:       baron@wiesje.hobby.nl           tgcpwd@urc.tue.nl       :-)

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (10/31/90)

In article <200@rc6.urc.tue.nl> tgcpwd@urc.tue.nl writes:
>Does this mean that you have a IDE disk up and running on Minix?

I am running Minix (both vanilla 1.5.10 and Bruce's 386 version) on
a 386 with a 200Mb Maxtor IDE drive.  No changes were needed.

-- Richard
--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) (10/31/90)

An IDE drive and controller appears to be a standard mfm drive to the
system; it just runs a lot faster.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631